Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows and Windows Experience Index

Options
  • 06-11-2009 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Hi

I bought this laptop in June and it came with Vista. Before doing anything, I installed Windows 7 ultimate RC and have loved it.
    After installing W7 my Windows Experience Index score was 4.9 as this was my lowest sub-score, the other 4 things were all above 5.0
    the laptop is an Acer 6530g 64bit operating system and has AMD Turino 2.0 dual core processor, 4gb ram and mobility radeon 3650 dedicated 512mb graphics card.

Recently I noticed the built in mic wasn't working so I went to Acers site and realised they now had W7 drivers available. happy days.

I had noticed my W.E.I. score had dropped to 2.9, so while downloading the W7 audio driver I also downloaded the W7 vga drivers to try increase this score. Then because I start to think the system might not be as fast as it possibly could be, I downloaded the W7 chipset driver too.
    I did all 3, I still feel my system is a little slow (but not slower) but now my processor calcs per second score is 1.8:eek::eek:

and the others have all dropped too!!!!!
    What should I do??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I have a feeling this thread will turn into a todger waving contest so may as well get the ball rolling.:rolleyes:
    Does this make you feel better or worse?:p

95471.PNG

Back to your problem.
    I don't know why your stats varied so much but I've always considered the Turion processor to be a low end budget job and poor. I had various breeds of it in several laptops and wasn't too impressed with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

The windows experience index imho is a pile of complete and utter sh*te. My score has always varied ridiculously whenever I've ran it. Don't put much faith in it.

If you really want a reliable bench, something like PCmark is much better imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

wait i'll jiust check mine for ya.....

9"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

95490.png

The Windows Experience Index seems to be fairly stable in both Vista and 7 and has consistantly given the same results

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Quick question, my hard disk is giving 5.9, everything else is in the 7's. Is a SSD my only option for getting that hard disk performance rating up? Anyone with a hard disk getting > 6 (not including raid setups)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Hold on, you downloaded ATI Radeon drivers from where?
    The official WHQL ones are usually behind the latest versions, probably any ones on the Acer or Windows sites.

I'd go here and get the latest Catalyst drivers:
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/Videocards---ATI-Catalyst-Windows-Vista_c31.html

Incidentally, mine is about 2 years old with a 5.1 score, might be time to get something better than the 8800GTS 320MB! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

here my score with a intel 160G SSD drive the best upgrade I ever did.
    wei.jpg

BigEejit wrote: »
    Quick question, my hard disk is giving 5.9, everything else is in the 7's. Is a SSD my only option for getting that hard disk performance rating up? Anyone with a hard disk getting > 6 (not including raid setups)

I also get 5.9 on a Seagate 7200rpm 2.5" disk; I seem to be coming to the conclusion that an SSD or RAID is required to score over 5.9. I'll be building a couple of Windows 7 machines in work this coming week so I'll keep my eye on the hard disk scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Karsini wrote: »
    I also get 5.9 on a Seagate 7200rpm 2.5" disk; I seem to be coming to the conclusion that an SSD or RAID is required to score over 5.9. I'll be building a couple of Windows 7 machines in work this coming week so I'll keep my eye on the hard disk scores.
    I have a 10000rpm WD raptor hard drive and still only get 5.9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Hold on, you downloaded ATI Radeon drivers from where?
    The official WHQL ones are usually behind the latest versions, probably any ones on the Acer or Windows sites.

I'd go here and get the latest Catalyst drivers:
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/Videocards---ATI-Catalyst-Windows-Vista_c31.html

Incidentally, mine is about 2 years old with a 5.1 score, might be time to get something better than the 8800GTS 320MB! :)

I downloaded the drivers from Acer-Europe, you just pick your laptop model and operating system and it gives you tyhe driver!
    Are the ones on your link better or more relevent? If so, which exact one do I use? Thanks a mil

Thanks to all you worry compounders, with your 7.5's etc....real comforting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I have 2 x 160s in HW RAID0 and I'm still getting 5.9 for disk. SSD gives 7.3

From what I'm reading here it's really looking like an artificial limitation is put on the WEI for hard disks. The same is done with video drivers, using an XP driver limits you to a maximum index score of 1.9, probably because of a lack of WDDM support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

jarvis wrote: »
    I downloaded the drivers from Acer-Europe, you just pick your laptop model and operating system and it gives you tyhe driver!
    Are the ones on your link better or more relevent? If so, which exact one do I use? Thanks a mil
    They're newer but some are not always better, but they should be generally less buggy than older drivers.
    Do you remember the version that Acer site gave you? It may be the latest, you could always use the older drivers (uninstall and reinstall older ones) unless you're playing the latest games on it the latest drivers aren't really necessary.

Here's the latest on that site for Windows7/Vista (64 bit), version 9.10:
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/ATI-Catalyst-9.10-Win-7-|-Vista-%2864-bit%29-download-2413.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

BopNiblets wrote: »
    They're newer but some are not always better, but they should be generally less buggy than older drivers.
    Do you remember the version that Acer site gave you? It may be the latest, you could always use the older drivers (uninstall and reinstall older ones) unless you're playing the latest games on it the latest drivers aren't really necessary.

Here's the latest on that site for Windows7/Vista (64 bit), version 9.10:
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/ATI-Catalyst-9.10-Win-7-|-Vista-%2864-bit%29-download-2413.html

Thanks.
    Should I completely uninstall the current driver before installing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

jarvis wrote: »
    Thanks.
    Should I completely uninstall the current driver before installing this?

It wouldn't hurt, though unless the installer was modified it should uninstall the old driver first automatically.

Also, the WEI is crap too, ..two 1TB 7200rpm drives in RAID getting a 5.9, 10000rpm drives getting 5.9..bahh!

Also, the WEI is crap too, ..two 1TB 7200rpm drives in RAID getting a 5.9, 10000rpm drives getting 5.9..bahh!
    I think it might be a marketing ploy to get people to buy SSDs. I doubt my 320GB 7200rpm 2.5" disk is the same speed as a 10000rpm Raptor; actually, I know it's not.

Thought I'd bump this with some useful info.

Finally broke the 5.9 barrier today with a customer's PC. Used a 64GB Corsair Performance P64 SSD which scored 7.3. The rest of the machine was a Core i7 920, 12GB of DDR3-1600 and a GeForce GTX260.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

kaizersoze wrote: »
    I have a feeling this thread will turn into a todger waving contest so may as well get the ball rolling.:rolleyes:
    Does this make you feel better or worse?:p

95471.PNG

Back to your problem.
    I don't know why your stats varied so much but I've always considered the Turion processor to be a low end budget job and poor. I had various breeds of it in several laptops and wasn't too impressed with it.

download.php?id=23&t=1&f=29

SNAP LOL. It is all about the SSD. I have a 64gb(not very fast one)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

Karsini wrote: »
    Thought I'd bump this with some useful info.

Finally broke the 5.9 barrier today with a customer's PC. Used a 64GB Corsair Performance P64 SSD which scored 7.3. The rest of the machine was a Core i7 920, 12GB of DDR3-1600 and a GeForce GTX260.

Now you need to RAID 0 SSDS, Overkill a little :p

Nice job.
    How much that ssd cost you?

Well it's not my machine, was building it on behalf of someone. I think it was around the €190-200 mark, maybe a bit less.

• Advertisement
Advertisement