Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This classic? good value? potential money pit?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Has to be over 30 years for classic tax but i think it qualifies for insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭emurphy

does it look too good to be true do you think at 900 lids?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Its nearly a Classic, that kind of money, the car is worth it.
    Drove one very similar, fine machine, easy to work on too.
    Aslong as the autobox is good plus the usual things haven done, it'll
    give you trouble free service for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Boots2006

For an aging car, I think its worth looking for one where the owner has obviously looked after it - books of receipts, work done to keep it in good order, all original parts, unmodified, that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭emurphy

Boots2006 wrote: »
    For an aging car, I think its worth looking for one where the owner has obviously looked after it - books of receipts, work done to keep it in good order, all original parts, unmodified, that sort of thing.

yeah your probably right. Its hard to know a whole lot about the car considering the feckers didnt put any notes in the summary. I'll ring them tomorrow see what its all about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭voteforpedro

Boots2006 wrote: »

+1. if you're able to do the work yourself or know someone that can do it then go for it. (presuming it needs some) otherwise, my 2 cents are you may as well buy one thats defo been well looked after and enjoy it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Its more than likely an import. The car itsself looks good and has the bmw mtec kit on it. Rust would be an issue on a car this age so make sure you look everywhere if you go to see it. €900 seems very good for it now but if it has work to be done it could cost you. Also I feel the auto can dull the driving experiense in one of these but thats only my opinion.

Being an English import there may be some history with it and also see if the current owner has any history.

Also if you get it take off the m badge on the front grill!

Finally try www.e30owners.com for some help and advice also!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

give it a good once over,should be ok,looks like a nice yolk
    it would make a nice runaround I'd say for that money

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

I love these. If you can afford to take a punt I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

No1beemerfan is right, it's an import. I checked on mywheels.ie. Personally I wouldn't buy a car at that age for anything due to mainteance etc. I rather have just 1 good car. But thats just my opinion!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...and a new one is guaranteed to be good?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

biggus wrote: »
    Has to be over 30 years for classic tax but i think it qualifies for insurance
    Will only qualify for classic insurance if you have a second policy on another car.

You could ask in the Classic Car forum too as some of regulars know those cars well - in fact there's a restoration thread of one ongoing at the moment.

kbannon wrote: »
    ...and a new one is guaranteed to be good?

There is obviously no guarantee that a newer one is better, however an 05 or even 95 is going to be more realible than an 85.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Its likely but as I say, not guarranteed. I know of people who have very little trouble with their E30s as there is much less to go wrong compared to complex modern cars with all of their electronic gizmos.

I agree that their mechanics are more simple etc. but technology has improves greatly since. However for me personally, I would be extremely cautious buying an 85 now, not knowing what problems are on it. I would rather spend another few euros and get something that has a higher gaurantee with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would go for an E21 instead of the E30. I think they are fab. I saw a pic of a nicely updated E21 somewhere on here about 1 year ago. Cannot find it now. Anyone know where it is. It was blue with perfect ride height and nicely freshened up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The e30 is a far superior car to the e21. I think the 30 was the making of BMW as we know it today. The e21 is more prone to rust & reliability/build quality from what I have read was not as good as te e30.
    I have owned 3 e30s: 318, 320i, 325i. Avoid the 318 with the Pierburg carburettor, it is a crap carb & most replace them with Weber units with a manualchoke.
    Would echo the sentiments that they are easy to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Check for rust on these. The bottom corners of the front windscreen and the rear wheel arches are the most common areas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

900 is pretty good if it's a good solid car. the 2L engine is these ia about as un-economical as the 2.5L in the 325. These are a bit rarer than the post facelift E30's, nice car thou!

I'm not sure if it has the full Tec1 kit, can't really make out what the bumper is like from the images. A proper tec1 kit on a black car looks great thuo, imo bette than the tec2 kit. Needs a nice set of 15" BBS thou!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Those in the know how have told me that it doesn't have a bmw tec1 kit, at least the front bumper isnt a tec1 item.

Here's a tec1 valance
    209q7mo.jpg%5B

• Advertisement
Advertisement