Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elgin 14ct pocket watch

Options
  • 06-11-2009 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Is there anywhere in Dublin I can get a valuation and then sell this pocket watch? I have spent the last few hours on the net and although I am now a lot wiser about the history of Elgin watches , I have no idea what price category mine fits into. Its working perfectly but unfortunately, years ago when my son was little, he broke the hinge on the front cover.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Pity about the hinge. It may be repairable though. Gold cases are rarer and go for more of course, sometimes just for the scrap value of the gold itself. A fair amount of gold case pocket watches got melted down in the great depression. They weren't as fashionable too, so it makes gold cased pocket watches even rarer.

The movement inside can seriously up the value if it's a good un. There are a fair few American collectors out there for elgin stuff. As your own research has probably shown you, they made a lot of watches. From the everyday "cheap" ones all the way to very high quality movements indeed. If it has the gold case chances are it's not one of the low jewel cheap movements anyway. If it's one of the even higher quality movements then the value can really go up.

Is the dial metal or is it a white(enamel) dial? Whats the condition there?

Can you post a picture of it maybe? especially a picture of the movement.

Value wise, ebay is a good bet to get a notion of the market outside Ireland and where you're likely to get more money on it IMHO. Here you could get one guy who would just look at the gold weight and little else.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Maisie

Thanks a million for your advice. I will be in Florida at the end of the month so now I am going down that route. E bay would not be for me......have never sold anything there and also do not have the correct terminology to advertise this watch. Will attach some pictures if I can...........

And............

And again..........
    Sorry, not very technical!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nice watch. Good quality and decorated movement. Not one of the cheapies anyway. Slightly unusual crown placement as usually the winding crown on a pocket watch is at 12.

I think you're right about florida. Much bigger market too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

advertise it in craigslist/florida before you go.

Advertisement