Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom chargine me for 7mb Broadband yet can only recieve a max of 5mb

Options
  • 06-11-2009 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

Like the title says, Eircom have been charging me for the last year for 7mb broadband where it is technically impossible for me to recieve it. The reason I found out is cause I went to the vodafone website to check it out and they told me that my line was only capable of 3mb.

Rang eircom and lodged a complaint but they don't seem to give a crap. Is there anywhere else I can lodge a complaint?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Scoti

Vyse wrote: »
    Like the title says, Eircom have been charging me for the last year for 7mb broadband where it is technically impossible for me to recieve it. The reason I found out is cause I went to the vodafone website to check it out and they told me that my line was only capable of 3mb.

Rang eircom and lodged a complaint but they don't seem to give a crap. Is there anywhere else I can lodge a complaint?

Unfortunately there is nothing to complaint about. Most people are in the same situation. Eircom and most ISP will sell you a certain max obtainable speed, is normally advert as "up to" 7 mb or whatever the speed.

So unless your lack of speed is due to a fault you will not get anywhere with this as it is not an issue as such... you are getting what you are paying for, 5 mb in your case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

The distance you are from the exchange and the amount of people sharing your connection (contention) mean you'll never get the full amount and to be honest, given Eircom's track record, you are doing very well to get 5Mb.

If you need more you should check out a supplier with lower contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

If your line isn't capable of 7Mbps, then the only thing you can do is downgrade to a lesser package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Scoti

The distance you are from the exchange and the amount of people sharing your connection (contention) mean you'll never get the full amount and to be honest, given Eircom's track record, you are doing very well to get 5Mb.

If you need more you should check out a supplier with lower contention.

It will be interesting to see what speed you are synching at and where did you get that speed. If you are synching at 5 mb then you wont be getting any better no matter the ISP unless you move to a broadband service not over the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

Is there anywhere else I can lodge a complaint?

I get the same, but I don't think they guarantee 7Mb. From their T&C's:

7.7 eircom does not warrant that the Facility will meet the Customer’s
    requirements or that the operation of the Facility will be uninterrupted or
    error-free. For the avoidance of doubt, eircom does not provide defined
    service levels for this service.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Presumably you signed up for this service voluntarily? While I have often said before on here that I think isps should be more careful of who they sell the higher speed products to the customer has to bear responsibility too for what he or she decides to spend their money on and it is relatively easy particularly for any regulars on here to know how to establish what speeds your line is capable of.

There is also the fact too that it is not always the isp's fault - internal wiring can have a detrimental effect on the speeds obtained.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Id be happy with a 5MB and paying for 7MB

Eircom sold me 2MB broadband for over a year, year later i rang about a upgrade to 7MB and they then tell me, your line only goes to 1MB in my location, i then had a big row over the phone about me paying extra for something i never god, long story short they hung up, next day i rang vodaphone, they said they woll set me up with vodaphone land line, for my home phone, and braodband at 1MB as its all the line supports until this time next year, and its more then halfed the eircom bill, my eircom bill was, no joke, up and around 100-200 euro a month for phone and broadband.

Im glad i made the switch, my speed is as it says, 1MB (little under) and its way cheaper, I know many ppl who pay top peice for the connection with eircom and get no support, i personaly think eircom at a time like this need to cop on and get there act together before they loss lots of users

i also noticed they blocked piratebay.org before i change my connection lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

dub45 wrote: »
    Presumably you signed up for this service voluntarily? While I have often said before on here that I think isps should be more careful of who they sell the higher speed products to the customer has to bear responsibility too for what he or she decides to spend their money on and it is relatively easy particularly for any regulars on here to know how to establish what speeds your line is capable of.

There is also the fact too that it is not always the isp's fault - internal wiring can have a detrimental effect on the speeds obtained.

Yeah signed up voluntarily, I would have appreciated being told that I could never get a 7mb line speed (which eircom new when selling me the product but didn't tell me). Vodafone plain out told me I couldn't get a 7mb line. Fair play to them. Signed up with them today and I will be doing the same for my parents tomorrow.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This is a none issue the service is sold as upto depending on line quality and distance, eircom is not wrong in this case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

It took you a year to realise this?

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    This is a none issue the service is sold as upto depending on line quality and distance, eircom is not wrong in this case

Well for me it is an issue. So, as per my original post, is there anywhere I can lodge a complaint?

CutzEr wrote: »
    It took you a year to realise this?

Embarassingly yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

OP - There are 100's of thousands in the country who can only dream about being in your position.........

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Scoti wrote: »
    Unfortunately there is nothing to complaint about. Most people are in the same situation. Eircom and most ISP will sell you a certain max obtainable speed, is normally advert as "up to" 7 mb or whatever the speed.

So unless your lack of speed is due to a fault you will not get anywhere with this as it is not an issue as such... you are getting what you are paying for, 5 mb in your case

I don't think it matters what ISP you go with. Your modem uses around 20% of your bandwidth so 5mb would be typical when they provide 7mb. Its the same with a 3 mb connection you only get around 2.5 mb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Well for me it is an issue. So, as per my original post, is there anywhere I can lodge a complaint?

There is no isssue here at all, Eircom sell upto 7 meg, UK sells upto 24 meg, line quality and distance is the issue here, nothing more, Eircom are not wrong and there is no complaint as a previous poster said thousands of people would kill to get that speed

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

How do you find out what you are using?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thing is its not a complaint, it won't be seen or handled as such by eircom other ISP's of the telecom regulator Comreg.

You may not like it but you not liking it does not change the physical limitations of ADSL technology in relation to how it works and the speed it can provide.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

if you want to complain, complain with your feet and move to a reseller, you have a great line by the sounds of things, BT/Vodafone are bound to offer you at least what you're getting from Eircom for a good bit less that what you are paying at the minute

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

slave1 wrote: »
    if you want to complain, complain with your feet and move to a reseller, you have a great line by the sounds of things, BT/Vodafone are bound to offer you at least what you're getting from Eircom for a good bit less that what you are paying at the minute

Well actually they wouldn't. Vodafone told him his line isn't capable of 7Mb so they'll more than likely get only 3Mb from them. So while it would be cheaper it wouldn't be as good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You are in the better off half of the state that can realistically get 3mbits or over on DSL .

I am not a bit sorry for anybody who can get 5mbits ...unless they live in a 20,000 + town where any other country ( even Greece ) has a universal fibre or VDSL installation plan by now :(

Try complaining to Eamon Ryan if you want to hear prize bull**** .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

I requested earlier in the week to upgrade from my 3MB package to 7MB with Eircom. I have a tech install, and the engineer in the past told me my line was 7MB capable.

Today, I was disconnected and when the connection came back I checked the router homepage for status, and seen the following:

96378.JPG

Why is it only 5MB showing ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Cabaal wrote: »
    So if the OP was getting 0.0001Mb it would still be a non-issue?
    After all it's only up to 7Mb...................

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If it only did 3.5mbits I would say you have a case but as you got half the difference between 3 and 7 there I feel it is fair enough . It may improve if the weather ever dries up :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Why is it only 5MB showing ? :confused:

Given your line stats, that is about what it is capable of. See here:

http://www2.farina1.com/adsl/

bk wrote: »
    Given your line stats, that is about what it is capable of. See here:

http://www2.farina1.com/adsl/

Ok, so even though I had an eircom engineer who tested it, and told me it was a 7MB line, that's the best I will get?

Ok, so even though I had an eircom engineer who tested it, and told me it was a 7MB line, that's the best I will get?

Correct, unless your line quality improves at present your line physically won't take the faster speed then 5MB without issues like loss of sync

DeepBlue wrote: »
    So if the OP was getting 0.0001Mb it would still be a non-issue?
    After all it's only up to 7Mb...................

Big difference, one is an actual issue (0.1MB) and is below what the OECD actually consider as "Broadband" and the other (5MB speed) is very acceptable for a upto 7MB product.

So yes getting 5MB and complaining about it is a non-issue :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, given the stats that is the best you can get.

Line quality can change over time, in your post you seem to indicate that the Eircom engineer told you it was capable of 7mb in the past and it may have been back then, but your line may have deteriorated since then.

In particular rain can cause a line to give inferior performance. Also you could try to improve things in your home, by unplugging everything from your phone line (other phones, fax, sky box, etc.) and just plug your modem into the primary phone socket, see if it gives you better results then.

bk wrote: »
    Yes, given the stats that is the best you can get.

Line quality can change over time, in your post you seem to indicate that the Eircom engineer told you it was capable of 7mb in the past and it may have been back then, but your line may have deteriorated since then.

In particular rain can cause a line to give inferior performance. Also you could try to improve things in your home, by unplugging everything from your phone line (other phones, fax, sky box, etc.) and just plug your modem into the primary phone socket, see if it gives you better results then.

Actually I had an issue a few months back with my 3MB connection dropping every 60-90mins constantly. After phone tech support, and two engineers calling out at the same time, they:

- checked my house connections, and confirmed I had a tech install from the start, so the line would not be impacted by sky boxes, etc..
    - he done tests on the line, and said it was able for 7MB (I am relatively close to my exchange)
    - checked the connection coming into my house, and at junctions, and confirmed no rain/water damage

In the end they ordered me a new modem, and at the exchange moved my connection over to different hardware or something. Once they made the change at the exchange the issue went, new modem wasn't needed but I am using it now anyway.

Hence I am surprised to see 5MB.

Anyway, I get what your saying, just didn't understand it upfront. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

I'm paying for 3MB, but have gotten my ISP to limit me to 2MB as my line can't handle anything over this. I didn't want the restrictions of the 1MB connection, so this was the best approach.

Advertisement