Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP Framework

Options
  • 06-11-2009 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi,

Just a quick question or two - is CodeIgnitor still the fframework of choice for those of you who do php dev? What's the learning curve like for it (I'm usually quite quick at picking up new languages and becoming proficient in them, and I'm already very familiar with php, just looking to speed up development by using a framework).

What do you make of smarty? Is it tough to use?

I think I'm going to try this project with CodeIgnitor, but I'd appreciate any feedback you've got as I've got some other upcoming projects that I may change framework for if a better one comes up.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

CI is still a very good framework but I don't think it's the default choice (was it ever?)

I've been using Kohana the last while and it is really quite impressive. It started as a branch of CI but very little of the original CI code is left. It is strictly PHP5 OO.

Also, Yii plus the APC extension is apparently very very fast so mightr be worth looking into.

Here is a comparison between all 3.

http://www.beyondcoding.com/2009/03/02/choosing-a-php-framework-round-2-yii-vs-kohana-vs-codeigniter/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Kila wrote: »
    Hi,

Just a quick question or two - is CodeIgnitor still the fframework of choice for those of you who do php dev? What's the learning curve like for it (I'm usually quite quick at picking up new languages and becoming proficient in them, and I'm already very familiar with php, just looking to speed up development by using a framework).

What do you make of smarty? Is it tough to use?

I think I'm going to try this project with CodeIgnitor, but I'd appreciate any feedback you've got as I've got some other upcoming projects that I may change framework for if a better one comes up.

Thanks!

I use my own framework. At the time in work I was too lazy to learn zend framework, so I said the easiest thing to do would be to write my own MVC framework. It's nowhere near as impressive as any of the rest of them, but it works =D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭ron_darrell

As above - sometimes it's just easier to use your own plus it teaches you some of the concepts involved in using an MVC. But as you're already familiar with PHP, the last time I checked Zend & Cake seemed to be the two most popular frameworks used in PHP dev (though it has been about a year or so since I last checked - things may have changed since).

-RD

I've tried Zend, Cake and CI. I think I prefer CI, as I find it more straightforward, but Zend has more bells and whistles, and seems to be a popular choice for large projects and corporate.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

ocallagh wrote: »
    CI is still a very good framework but I don't think it's the default choice (was it ever?)

Not necessarily the default choice for everyone - I just did a search here before asking the question, and the only thread I could find seemed to have lots of recommendations for CI.
    ocallagh wrote: »
    I've been using Kohana the last while and it is really quite impressive. It started as a branch of CI but very little of the original CI code is left. It is strictly PHP5 OO.

Also, Yii plus the APC extension is apparently very very fast so mightr be worth looking into.
    I'll look into those when I complete this project, thanks.
    oeb wrote: »
    I use my own framework. At the time in work I was too lazy to learn zend framework, so I said the easiest thing to do would be to write my own MVC framework. It's nowhere near as impressive as any of the rest of them, but it works =D

I have written some of my own "framework" type stuff, but not to the level that the prepack frameworks are. I think that I'd like to put together my own framework some time soon, but I definitely won't have time to do so before this project, and want a little experience in using prebuilt frameworks so I know where I want to go with a homebrew version.
    As above - sometimes it's just easier to use your own plus it teaches you some of the concepts involved in using an MVC. But as you're already familiar with PHP, the last time I checked Zend & Cake seemed to be the two most popular frameworks used in PHP dev (though it has been about a year or so since I last checked - things may have changed since).

-RD
    I've tried Zend, Cake and CI. I think I prefer CI, as I find it more straightforward, but Zend has more bells and whistles, and seems to be a popular choice for large projects and corporate.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Have decided to do this project using CI, as it's got everything I need in it (for now). After that, will look into other frameworks, and maybe rolling my own.

Kila

• Advertisement

Just as an aside, here's an interesting alternate take on the whole idea of using a big MVC framework from the guy who wrote PHP:
    http://toys.lerdorf.com/archives/38-The-no-framework-PHP-MVC-framework.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

I began by trying to learn Zend but found it too complicated. I then moved on to CI and found it a lot easier.

My plan is to learn CI and get a feel for PHP MVC. I will probably go back to Zend after that. I was always under the impression that Zend was one of the best. Probably becuase of the whole idea of certification and it has its own. That probably means nothing though..I'm find this thread very informative..

Advertisement