Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I'm going to be in the London olympics 2012!!!

Options
  • 06-11-2009 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

OK. I'm a 400m runner who has decided to move up to 800m. Essentially haven't performed since Junior. Won the Schools & the juniors over 400m. Had a decent enough first year college. Did get injured but did well under circumstances. 2nd year college was to be my break-through year but everything went pair shaped when the same heel injury resurfaced. Got lazy then and chucked the whole lot till now pretty much. So I'm in 3rd year now and I've already missed like 6 weeks of college training not to mention any pre-season distance. I have an uphill battle but you guys on this forum are really encouraging. Everyone else meets me with frowns and tuts and the "you're a waste of talent" looks.

Personal Bests:

200m - 22.80
    400m - 49.81
    800m - 1.57.11

Plan:

So what I want is to get into 800m racing shape first. That of course will involve getting many miles into the legs. I feel I trained too vigorously in my previous years. I would kill myself in every track session to the point of puking sometimes. Even if I felt a niggle I'd run through it. I don't think you can train like you race all the time. It's too severe on you're body. I'm going to train more controlled from now on and let fly in the races. If I break my 800m P.B. this year I'll be satisfied I'm back and ready for more. Then I have two years to take 10 seconds off it to make London 2012. I know it's a bit of a mental goal but aim for the stars right? I'll do it step by step and if I come up short then at least I'll be back in the game. I'll still only 28 for the 2016 olympics! Lol. Keep an eye out anyway... I might surprise. Any comments, hints, tips, observations are all welcome.

Nice waan kiiiid.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭stepperupper

Just finished an easy run there. Shaking off cobwebs really. Didn't time it. Probably around 35 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭bourne99

Well best of luck to you! Looking at your times there, I suddenly feel inadequate! It's one of my regrets that in school/college I didn't get involved in athletics, so I hope you push it to the max so that in ten years time you won't look back and think 'If only...'

Looks like you're on the right track though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mailblaney

good luck OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck with it. I dunno what college you are in but if you are interested in early morning runs in UCD with a bit of company. We do 4 miles around half seven in morning before class (3rd year myself) IF interested in the bit of compnay PM me as i know how hard it is to get your fitness back on your own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭limericklion

Best of luck Ive seen you down on the track in ul many times if I think I know who it is. The key to building endurance is consistency but judging on your 200m time you could run another second or two lower in your 400. Thomas Chamney remember is not much if any quicker than you so consistent training is the key. If you are based around Limerick Will Logan is the man to go to. His athletes have all excelled ie Colm Turner, Cathal Dennahy, and Michael Carmody all international standard cross country runners. Athletes who have not trained at race pace are those who throw up for eg you will never see a top 800 runner puking all over the place at the end of a race if he has the required training done.
    good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Rio 2016

There is only one person who fits the criteria that you have set out above and i have to say that it is good to see you back. I look forward to banging out some miles and sessions with you with the view of making the trip accross the pond with you in two years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭stepperupper

Slowly but surely getting back into the scene. Mostly hill sessions and longer track sessions (e.g. 6x600m around 1.48/1.49). Just did 6x150m hills there. Walk back wait about 30 seconds, go again.

I'm in UCC by the way ecoli (ur username's a disease? lol). Missed a few days because the Mardyke is completely under water. Only worrying thing... same heel has been niggling at me slightly. Hopefully it won't develop. Being a lot more diligent in warm-up/warm-down these days. Even hitting the pool after some sessions.

Considering doing 800s in the indoor season because they'd be less severe than 400s. I don't think whipping around those tight bends in Nenagh ever helped any1. Will try post progress more often. G'luck.

Advertisement