Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

vw beetle owners..

Options
  • 06-11-2009 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Hi I got a new beetle less than a year ago and one of the bulbs is very faded noe and makes night driving very hard. I know the whole headlight has to come out to change the bulb so i went to a vw dealership and they said it will cost €150 per bulb to change cos it takes an hour to take the headlight out and back in...is this right or are they taking advantage of me???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Are they HID?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Don't go to the main dealer for a relatively simple job, your local independant mechanic will do ths for a fraction of the price.

My sister's bulb went af few months after getting it, the mech who replaced the bulb left the access flap open so the head doesn't build up so much in the housing.

They're not HIDs, afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭personaltrainer

cool so best thing just ring the local...i just laughed at the vw dealer..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Hi I got a new beetle less than a year ago and one of the bulbs is very faded noe and makes night driving very hard. I know the whole headlight has to come out to change the bulb so i went to a vw dealership and they said it will cost €150 per bulb to change cos it takes an hour to take the headlight out and back in...is this right or are they taking advantage of me???

Has the bulb faded or has the glass got foggy/dirty. Bulbs that are non HID would normally be ok then blown.

With the weather we have been having it could be just dirty glass. Or maybe there is moisture getting into the housing. Are there any small cracks on the glass or damage to its rubber seal?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

An hour, pff. Its on a rotating rail thing, you disconnect it on the back and push down on a lever (which may need WD40 and a hammer + screwdriver to free) and it pops out. Lots of forums and guides online. You also should be embarrassed asking a dealer to change a bulb. :p
    And yep, we had one!* :cool:

*A lie, actually we had 2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭personaltrainer

Ok just an update...
    I wouldnt even try change the lightbulb because me been me Id brake it....Halfords wouldn't change it because they didnt want to chance breaking it when taking the whole headlight off!!!!:rolleyes:
    I rang a few places and turned out that a vw dealership on the other side of town would do it...very nice guys and they only charged me a tenner :D took them a good half hour too!!!

Advertisement