Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home security installation help ?

Options
  • 06-11-2009 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I'm just installing an alarm in my house and the actual wiring is no problem.

What I was wondering is what pepole use to stick the alarm cable to the windows - I have PVC windows.

I'd prefer not to use those little u shaped nails and have to nail it down. And I'm not sure what type/brand of "glue" to go for ?

Any help appreciated.

Rob
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭jack of all

I used mini plastic trunking which comes with a double sided tape, you just remove the tape and stick directly onto your frames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rwilson_ie

Ta :)

Where did you get it ? don't suppose it comes in brown ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

rwilson_ie wrote: »
    Ta :)

Where did you get it ? don't suppose it comes in brown ?

Electrical wholesalers will have it... as would the likes of B&Q etc...

I bought one length of it last week in white from the wholesalers it was around €4 for it.

The likes of B&Q will have it in different colours, they also have different profiles which work quite well along the edges of windows...

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gorwanvfr

rwilson_ie wrote: »
    I'm just installing an alarm in my house and the actual wiring is no problem.

What I was wondering is what pepole use to stick the alarm cable to the windows - I have PVC windows.

I'd prefer not to use those little u shaped nails and have to nail it down. And I'm not sure what type/brand of "glue" to go for ?

Any help appreciated.

Rob
    Superglue works a treat a small drop every six inchs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

gorwanvfr wrote: »
    Superglue works a treat a small drop every six inchs.

Do not use super glue, it looks terrible. Pencil trunking is the way to go or if you're brave :D you could drill 1/4" holes into the PVC and fish the cables through the inside of the window, I do it all the time and it looks the business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gorwanvfr

Do not use super glue, it looks terrible. Pencil trunking is the way to go or if you're brave :D you could drill 1/4" holes into the PVC and fish the cables through the inside of the window, I do it all the time and it looks the business.
    Guess that’s your opinion. Done right it looks a lot neater then trucking

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I would use trunking over superglue. Its easier to remove. It can be got in the window colour. Do not screw the trunking use the sticky back as suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Guess that’s your opinion. Done right it looks a lot neater then trucking

In my experience it's not. The glue discolours over time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭altor

Done right it looks a lot neater then trucking

Trunking is alot neater that glue and is alot easier to remove also. glue goes a brown colour over time and would look unsightly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rwilson_ie

Thanks folks.

For the moment, I just have the cables stretched and they sit perfectly on the windows :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement