Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is best package for startup merchant site??

Options
  • 05-11-2009 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Hello all, I hope I am posting in the right place. My wife and I have a business and wish to start selling or wares on line, we have found a .ie address that we are very happy with and want to set up a very simple focused merchant site which will sell specific products;

The advice I seek is for the best value service for me to register the domain and build a simple site on which a customer can purchase product using a simple paypal button. I would like to build the site myself using a sitebuilder facility.

All opinions appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Im sorry but if you intend for people to actually purchase goods over your site , your going to have to look beyond a site builder tool and paypal. An e-commerce based site most importantly needs to present an image of trust and professionalism in order for people to enter their credit card details. I'd advise putting aside a budget and getting this professionally done.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ìf your only selling one product then I don't see any reason to switch from paypal unless your well established and know your going to get sales that would justify the cost of setting up a merchant account with a bank that will allow you to take credit card payments online. Allot of shopping cart systems are fairly complex things so that you can sell lot's of different types of products.

For a small website that might only be selling one product a shopping cart system is almost too much work, also those small websites don't carry the same level of trust that a big website would inspire in people so I think the paypal option will encourage more sales as there's a level of safety for the customer that might not be there (as far as the customer is concerned) if the payment is handled by an unknown system.

It really depends on what your selling, that will dictate what level of complexity your shopping cart will need. How much your selling and who your selling too.

If you have a bit of website building experience Joomla with virtuemart is a fairly straight forward and easy enough to use shopping cart system.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Sorry Aidan, feet first! Need to read more before posting but thanks for the input

Advertisement