Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how can i convince my dad to update his broadband ?

Options
  • 05-11-2009 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭

hi im 15 and enjoy playing online although ive a crappy 1mb broadband . any tips to help convince my dad that a faster broadband would be better.

hes usually giving out that our broadband on the pc is slow.

* which speed and broadband provider would be nice.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    hi im 15 and enjoy playing online although ive a crappy 1mb broadband . any tips to help convince my dad that a faster broadband would be better.

hes usually giving out that our broadband on the pc is slow.

* which speed and broadband provider would be nice.

Too vague to answer as is.

What's your current package and supplier?
    Where are you?
    How long is your phoneline?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You are 15 so just tell him you will hate him forever if he doesn't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

1mb eircom,
    sligo,
    not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Tell him you will do an extra bit of work around the house, or something to that effect? Try Eircom 3mb, it has some good pings for online gaming.

thanks will try that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

1mb eircom,
    sligo,
    not sure.

Log into the router on 192.168.1.254 and get the linestats, should be under advanced somewhere.

im still not sure which shows how long my phone line is?

im still not sure which shows how long my phone line is?

We need the attenuation and SNR values.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭xo_CHEWY_ox

tell him it will be much cheaper without a phone line and go with UPC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

are UPC offering cable BB in Sligo now ???? First I heard of it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

Don't mention games whatever you do. Drag the arse out of doing your homework (at 15 I'm assuming you are still at school) on the PC a couple of nights and shame him into getting the 3Mb upgrade if your line will take it. Get him used to the speed boost and he will want to stick with it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 lawrenceSummer

get him to change to vodafone, the money he saves will pay for the faster speed, and then some maybe

delos you genious

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Dont leave the 1mb package if you want your pings to stay low. They use high interleaving on the high packages that will kill any decent pings you may currently have.
    Unless thats been corrected lately.

i want my pings to be high.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭xo_CHEWY_ox

no you don't. for gaming you need low pings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Xcellor

i want my pings to be high.

lol funny. :D

You should phone up your ISP and complain that your pings aren't high enough. Demand greater latency!!! If they don't give you higher pings move to dial up or satellite connection ...

Advertisement