Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulating Cavity Walls

Options
  • 05-11-2009 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Whats best way to insulate Cavity Walls on new build. What are BER people saying. Ive been told by geothermal expert to make it a 6 inch cavity and to pump in the insulation. I was going to go with kingspan partial cavity fill and then dry line the inside of the wall. Would pumped 6 inch cavity give me a better u-value?? Would it be cheaper than insulation + dry lining considering the slightly larger foundation required for 6 inch cavity?? Cheers for any tips

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

There a re loads of threads here on this topic if you care to have a root around.

Im afraid the jury is still hung on the matter. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,123 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Whats best way to insulate Cavity Walls on new build. What are BER people saying. Ive been told by geothermal expert to make it a 6 inch cavity and to pump in the insulation. I was going to go with kingspan partial cavity fill and then dry line the inside of the wall. Would pumped 6 inch cavity give me a better u-value?? Would it be cheaper than insulation + dry lining considering the slightly larger foundation required for 6 inch cavity?? Cheers for any tips

6" pumped cavity is cheaper than partial fill and drylining

whether its better or not is subjective..... you need to calculate the u values.

If you are starting a house build you really should have all the construction specification, plumbing, and heating specification finalised before you turn a sod. you should have a provisional BER carried out to check what the minimum spec you need to comply with building regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭liamolaighin

muffler wrote: »
    There a re loads of threads here on this topic if you care to have a root around.

Im afraid the jury is still hung on the matter. :)

I know I've been looking around for last few weeks but cant get a definate answer. I suppose I should really just go employ a BER guy!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,123 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I know I've been looking around for last few weeks but cant get a definate answer. I suppose I should really just go employ a BER guy!

employ an architect / technician who is also a BER assessor and get best of both worlds.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

inject that insuulation stuff into it, forget what its called!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭liamolaighin

mink_man wrote: »
    inject that insuulation stuff into it, forget what its called!
    Its called insulation i guess! Ya i'm veering towards a 6 inch cavity with pumped insulation at the moment. Saves drylining the walls & its cheaper as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Katz83

Its called insulation i guess! Ya i'm veering towards a 6 inch cavity with pumped insulation at the moment. Saves drylining the walls & its cheaper as far as i know

I am just wondering did you end up pumping the 6 inch cavity in the end. we are pumping the cavity and are considering doinga 38mm slab on inside but this costs a good bit so just wondering if you did just pumped the cavity is your house warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Katz83 wrote: »
    I am just wondering did you end up pumping the 6 inch cavity in the end. we are pumping the cavity and are considering doinga 38mm slab on inside but this costs a good bit so just wondering if you did just pumped the cavity is your house warm.

Hi.. I'm not OP but we built about two years ago..
    Standard 100mm cavity pumped with platinum beads and 2" high density insulated slabs on the inside and uppermost ceilings with 300mm fiber glass in attic.
    Very very happy with result, oil consumption 1 tank a year and house holds a nice constant temperature. I can only suppose a 6" cavity plus slabs would be even better..

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Katz83

bbam wrote: »
    Hi.. I'm not OP but we built about two years ago..
    Standard 100mm cavity pumped with platinum beads and 2" high density insulated slabs on the inside and uppermost ceilings with 300mm fiber glass in attic.
    Very very happy with result, oil consumption 1 tank a year and house holds a nice constant temperature. I can only suppose a 6" cavity plus slabs would be even better..

Thanks for the reply it is so hard to decide what to do when it comes to insolation and also cost plays a part

Advertisement