Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Practice Sessions, Long v Short

Options
  • 05-11-2009 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭

What do you think is more beneficial for improving your game, one long practice session a day or else the session broke up throughout the day, say 30mins practice 3 or 4 times.Logic would say the longer sessions would give your brain more time to memorise muscle memory but then on the flip side its hard to stay concentrated/motivated over a long session..whats your thoughts on this?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Well for muscle memory the only really important thing to do is throw everyday, even for half an hour.

I never do long sessions because I get tired and don't focus enough. This leads to poor darts and is no use to me. Different strokes though...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭theroversreturn

short sessions definately better. long sessions lead to loss of concentration which then results in bad practice which can be worse than doing no practice at all. shorter sessions keep ya fresher and more focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

I would tend to do 40-60 mins, take a break and come back and do another (if im awash with free time)

Do a couple of practice routine for 30 mins, then play 501 for 30, then when i come back 10 mins of practice routine and then onto 501

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

Really only throw for as long as you can stay focused and more importantly interested. It might be for 20 mins tonight but maybe 2 hrs tomorrow. Your head and arm will let you know. DO NOT keep throwing especially if you feel you've not done as long as you promised yourself to do but maybe the darts are going badly for you. You will probably just get more tired and more demoralised.
    Try and vary practice to hold interest as long as possible and remember a great half hour with targets set like finishing in so many darts.... possibly against an imaginary foe is much better than a tiring and pointless 2 or 3 hrs of aimless darts that will be instantly forgettable,

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭webster2009

i actually gave up practice at home and only throw on match nights which makes me live for the game on match nights. if you're playing well it stops you tweeking or changing your game (stance,grip ,stems ,flights etc) it gave me consistency. If you're throwing a lot at home and not improving you can get very dispondent so try abstaining for a few days and get the hunger for the game back, works for me (different strokes for different folks):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

over the last year my practice has changed alot, started off with a hour a day then when during the off season i pushed it up to three hours, BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER!!!!. i totally burned myself out, was in two singles tournament in that time i got knocked out in the first and second round, couldn't hit a double to save my life. nowi am back to a hour or less a day and i'm back to my old form if not a little better, my advice to anyone is don't push yourself too much too quick or it will back fire big time

and this is a messge to everyone: just enjoy your darts, if you lose you lose try and take the good out of the bad, if you get too wrapped up in winning you will completey ruin your game (i know from experience)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dazaazad

I tend to go for the short sessions as they are more excitin' and fun. Boredom does occur

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

i actually gave up practice at home and only throw on match nights which makes me live for the game on match nights. if you're playing well it stops you tweeking or changing your game (stance,grip ,stems ,flights etc) it gave me consistency. If you're throwing a lot at home and not improving you can get very dispondent so try abstaining for a few days and get the hunger for the game back, works for me (different strokes for different folks):)
    Interesting ... very interesting point of view.
    I don't practise much or play too much these days but strangely some of my best results in time were when I'd been off board for a while. Once for weeks due to injury and came back to win a nice one. Didn't expect to do too well being stale so maybe that took away all pressure from me that day and the darts flowed.
    There may be a phycological side to this as playing bad in practise may linger in the mind on the big day ???
    Who Knows !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 diversinc

practice is the key.. be flexible.. dont practice bad darts.. but if your hittin it up.. keep it going.. you figure out alot in a good practice..

Advertisement