Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanant Move - Where to start?

Options
  • 05-11-2009 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all,

Excuse me if this has been addressed in some other post, but after searching through lots of posts from people wanting to work abroad for a year out, I still haven't found the answers I'm looking for.

I'm investigating moving to Canada indefinitely rather than taking a year out. I'm over 30 and working as an Electronics Engineer. I have so many questions and I'm not sure where to start the process of moving? Is USIT the only one that can issue visas in Ireland? Otherwise do I start applying for the work visa first? However, because my job isn't on the NOC list of jobs in demand I must have a job offer. So should I start applying for jobs first? But what employer will look at someone without a work permit? Another option is to quit my job here and move there to look for a job.... not really desirable.

Has anyone else here done this type of move already, or can put me in contact with someone who has done it already?

Thanks,

Paddy O' Generic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Colmfatcamp

Hey Paddy,

I'm here in Toronto at the moment and am looking into visa extensions. My suggestion is, if under 35, get over here via USIT and then go through the visa application process once you get a job. Employers generally don't want the hassle of a month long interview and selection process with someone they can't easily interview or meet properly, and then a visa process following that which can take another couple of months. Once you're in the country, the visa application is a lot easier and quicker, and as long as you make your application before the expiration of your year-long visa, you can stay. If you are in that special sought-after group of jobs, then there should be no problem.

The other suggestion is to apply through the Canadian Embassey in London, which can take a couple of years I believe.

CC

Advertisement