Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving a Presentation... help needed!

Options
  • 05-11-2009 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,

I'm a first year mature student, along with the other people in my group. We have to give a presentation in a few weeks. The presentation content is not an issue.

The issue is that the rest of the class are 17/18 and we have to find a way of engaging the class with our presentation. Involving them, like asking questions. Ideally we want to make it fun and dont want people falling asleep!

Any suggestions would be greately appreciated! We've thought about making leafelts in relation to our presentation, handing out lolli pops, starting the presentation with questions on the topic to see if the students have any knowledge on the topic, but it all seems a bit mundane. We want to try and make the presentation interesting and obviously get a good result.

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

JoJo1404 wrote: »
    The issue is that the rest of the class are 17/18 and we have to find a way of engaging the class with our presentation. Involving them, like asking questions. Ideally we want to make it fun and dont want people falling asleep!

Ha, welcome to my world. :D I have to do this for a living every day, and it is not as easy as it sounds.

Some things I use:
    • Bullet points - use the bullet points as an outline, expand on them verbally
    • Questions - don't spoonfeed. As you said yourself, keep them on their toes by regularly throwing out questions.
    • Hooks - try and make a few bizarre statements at the beginning of a slide to get their interest. For example, in Computer Networks, there is a seven layer model (won't bore you with the details). The mnemonic for it is Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away. I started the slide saying will be talking about X,Y Z and why you shouldn't throw sausage pizza away. Straight away, that got their interest
    • Animations/sounds - done well, it can make a presentation. Overdone, it can utterly destroy one.
    • Videos/music - again, can look good in a presentation, but don't over do it
    • Quiz - give them a set of questions at the start of a presentation (on paper) and tell them they have to fill out the answers which can be found on various slides during the presentation

Advertisement