Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband problems

Options
  • 05-11-2009 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

Hi, over the last 2 days my broadband (eircom) has stopped working at random times. I bought a new laptop recently and after I connected to my wireless connection the signal was lost and no wireless networks could be found. I have another laptop which also couldn't find any wireless connections. My iphone showed that it was receiving wi-fi (little asterisk symbol on the top menu bar) but it could not load any web based apps or browse the internet. My desktop also showed that it was connected (LAN via ethernet) but I couldn't browse the web on this either - saying no server found.

Just wondering if anyone has come across this before or if anyone knows what the problem could be. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ok first off stop trying via wifi and instead test just via ethernet
    then do this while testing
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54381143&postcount=6

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭cobijones

Thanks for that Cabaal, its actually working at the moment, just came back a few minutes ago, not sure if it will go again any time soon! It actually started working this morning when I switched on my new Laptop (I'm not sure if this is just coincidence). I tried some of the steps in your post when it wasn't working such as connecting straight to the eircom master socket and it still wouldn't work.

The thing that is confusing me is that the two laptops cant find any wireless connections, not even neighbours ones(the Wifi light on the laptops is on). The iphone shows that it is connected to my Wifi but it cant browse any webpages and the desktop(connected via ethernet) shows that the connection is there(in Connect to ->Show all connections -> LAN connection) but again I cant browse any webpages.

Could it be a problem with too many things trying to connect to the wifi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

cobijones wrote: »
    Thanks for that Cabaal, its actually working at the moment, just came back a few minutes ago, not sure if it will go again any time soon! It actually started working this morning when I switched on my new Laptop (I'm not sure if this is just coincidence). I tried some of the steps in your post when it wasn't working such as connecting straight to the eircom master socket and it still wouldn't work.

The thing that is confusing me is that the two laptops cant find any wireless connections, not even neighbours ones(the Wifi light on the laptops is on). The iphone shows that it is connected to my Wifi but it cant browse any webpages and the desktop(connected via ethernet) shows that the connection is there(in Connect to ->Show all connections -> LAN connection) but again I cant browse any webpages.

Could it be a problem with too many things trying to connect to the wifi?
    What lights are on your Eircom router and what colour are they? Is the Internet light red?

Wireless link is on
    Lan 1 is on and flashes every few seconds
    DSL Sync is on

and power is on.

All lights are green

Its working at the moment, when its not working Im fairly sure all the same lights are on

Wireless link is on
    Lan 1 is on and flashes every few seconds
    DSL Sync is on

and power is on.

All lights are green

Its working at the moment, when its not working Im fairly sure all the same lights are on
    Sounds like the router is set to On-Demand instead of Always-On and is taking time to reconnect. Do the following to fix this:

http://192.168.1.254 > Expert Mode > Yes, Enter Expert Mode > Configure > Connection > Always On > Save and Restart.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that , I'll give that a try. I just had a look and it is set to on-demand. Is there any disadvantage to setting it to always on?

Thanks for that , I'll give that a try. I just had a look and it is set to on-demand. Is there any disadvantage to setting it to always on?
    Nope, it just means that the line stays connected all the time instead of timing out after a set period of time (meaning that it could be slow to reconnect if you go for a p*ss or make a cup of tea) :)

Advertisement