Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHAT DO I PLAY AT A 50th?? help...(dj). :(

Options
  • 05-11-2009 6:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I DJ in a local nightclub, and my friend asked me to do his fathers 50th, and I agreed... Haven't a clue what to play.
    Anyone got some advice, apart from pulling a sicky ;)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

anything from the 50's onwards really.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

Gabba and hardstyle.

You'll defo get the gig for their funerals!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭francois

First off ask whoever booked you does the person have any favourite songs, or possibly do they want a set list, thrown in hits from the 60's and 70's-the era the person grew up in, then the usual floor pleasers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

normally 70's 80's 90's and recent hits, some soul and some middle of the road rock.

but ask your mate what his parent and their pals are into, and hope he doesn't say country and western, shudder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Agree with francois on this one, maybe you could sneek this in,

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Random beatles songs always go down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It'll be no real difference from the type of music that's played at a wedding. The crowd won't be made up of people only in their 50's. Just play a mixture of old and new and then all the cheesey classics as the night gets into full swing.

Also, just ask your mate to give you a list of his dad's favourite songs. They'll probably all be sh1t songs that nobody will dance to :D but it'd be nice to through in one or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

well, it's my 50th next month and I'm planning on doing a performance followed by some friends doing DJ sets. For any 50 year old who's been into house/techno/raves since the start you'd want to be keeping the bpm up above 130 or risk a clip 'round the ear. That's the instructions the guys have been given in my case. Keep it banging or go to your room :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

old gregg wrote: »
    well, it's my 50th next month and I'm planning on doing a performance followed by some friends doing DJ sets. For any 50 year old who's been into house/techno/raves since the start you'd want to be keeping the bpm up above 130 or risk a clip 'round the ear. That's the instructions the guys have been given in my case. Keep it banging or go to your room :D

Salute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

OP - try some classic old 60's Ska and Bluebeat...

"My Girl Lollipop" and loads of other similar poppy Jamaican tunes always go down REALLY well with an older crowd!

Try some old soul and r&b as well, Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, James Brown, Marvin Gaye...

The Beatles, The Stones...

My dad would probably demand free jazz and dub techno though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

The Nolan Sisters - I'm in the mood for dancing has to be in there.

Watch a few episodes of Four Weddings on Living and note down what they play at weddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭bullpost

He might also appreciate some punk/new wave from class of '77.
    Sex Pistols, Clash, Jam, Elvis Costello, The Damned, Ramones, Blondie, Talking Heads ad infinitum..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

everybody's doin a random dance......

Advertisement