Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Starting driving. What insurance company will i go with?

Options
  • 04-11-2009 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Ok so i got my provisional licence today and will be starting driving within the next 3 weeks, im 19. What i will be doing is going under my fathers name who is 50 and has no claims bonus. The car he is insuring us both on is a Passat 1.6, pretty sure its turbo anyway, so he went upto the crowd he is with at the moment and they said they dont insure other drivers under his name who is under 25, bull****! So what im askin' is who would i best off going with for a reasonable price?

Im 19 with a provisional licence, i will be getting lessons done soon, hopefully to bring down the price.

My father is 50, no years claim bonus and his occupation is an electrician.

Any replies as top where to go would be really appreciated.
    Thanks!.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well just to correct your first post. You have a learner permit, not a provisional license(Sorry to be picky:o). Is the passat a petrol or a diesel? If it's the 1.6 petrol it doesn't have a turbo, if it's the 1.9TDI then it does, although it's not like it's a speed demon, although some VAG drivers might disagree:p!
    Honestly, the best way to find the cheapest policy with all the cover you/your dad wants is to get out the phone book and ring around to all the brokers and insurance companies you can find.
    Taking driving lessons will not decrease your premium unfortunately, unless you're doing the ignition course through Hibernian i doubt you'll see much or a drop in the premium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I, as i will to anyone who asks, reccomend britton insurance brokers in donegal. Im 23 with no driving exp , got a quote of 1200 TPFT on a 1.6 mondeo. By far and away the cheapest quotes. Second cheapest in my experience is hibernian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 PyroniC

Thanks for the replies lads, its a 1.6 diesel, i priced a couple place just there on my own and all of um are coming to around 3,000E, very expensive! Does the price go down by much with me being under my fathers name? By the way im from Limerick, so would that Britton place still cover me if i was to go with them?

I'm not sure tbh, check it out here if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

Your father's insurance company cannot just refuse to quote for an additional driver. They are obliged to quote for existing business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 PyroniC

we went down there today said they dont put people under 25 under the named drivers, why is this wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

Which insurance company are you with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If its a 1.6 diesel, it must be an old passat (88 to 94). That model was actually a turbo im sure. The 1.6 diesel didnt make an appearance in the later cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Is the Passat your fathers car?
    is it his main car?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

Max Power1 wrote: »
    I, as i will to anyone who asks, reccomend britton insurance brokers in donegal. Im 23 with no driving exp , got a quote of 1200 TPFT on a 1.6 mondeo. By far and away the cheapest quotes. Second cheapest in my experience is hibernian

Whay year was the car? Just curious for myself...

• Advertisement

It was a 97. (I didnt go through with the quote in the end as i didnt buy the car, but i could have)

Advertisement