Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone contention Ringaskiddy Exchange

Options
  • 04-11-2009 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi All newbie here but long time reader. I have had vodafone at home for the last year on the 7.6Meg package with no real issues to report until about a month ago. I was always getting a solid 4.5 Meg download off peak times and maybe 3Meg at peak.Since September on weekdays between 19:00 and 23:30 my speedtests are showing speeds averaging 1.5Meg with a lot of latencey and jitter and sometimes as low as .6Meg. A guy from Vodafone told me this evening that this was a contention issue and that it could not be fixed. I told him that last night i was downloading from Microsoft at a rate of 32kb and said I would be faster using dial up ,he then had the cheek to enter into an argument that dial up was a lot slower than 32kb download.
    My question is even though I know Eircom own the lines if I move to them would it be any better i.e. are you on a different port sharing your line with a new set of users where I might get lucky. I am suspect that all of this contention has something to do with all the BT customers moving over to Vodafone but thats just a guess ,any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Usually it is exchange contention ( eircom) otherwise the whole of Cork would be howling about Vodafone . Wait and see what else shows up . I take it service really crap in the evening but OK in the day ??

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭danny004

Yes I can get up to 5 megs weekends and daytime and last night I even managed a speed test of .3Megs. It is possible that If i downgrade to the three Meg package that I may get a more continuos service

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Unlikely , I would think eircom will upgrade the exchange at some stage if everybody in Ringaskiddy hounds them. This happens nationwide , they get caught with too much demand for the backhaul they have .

Check with the neighbours, I bet even those with eircom accounts have the same problem as you .

Advertisement