Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question about vaccines in Ireland

Options
  • 04-11-2009 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

What preservative is used in pediatric vaccines in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

There is a lot of ongoing debate and scares regarding vaccinations in this forum and the media in general.

All vaccines do undergo extensive safety testing to make sure that the incipients are safe - as they are given of all people - to children where consent for study is the most difficult and also where investigators are most concious of the single greatest part of the hippocratic oath "to do no harm"

Let me give another analogy - before vaccinations, iron lungs were commonplace and the only means to keep children infected with polio alive. Smallpox decimated millions, epiglottitis, measles, diptheria, whooping cough killed thousands upon thousands of children across the world. Mother and fathers agonised as they watched their child die in front of them and doctors were powerless to stop it.

Then vaccines came out, smallpox is eliminated, polio is nearly eradicated. Common childhood diseases are no more and almost all children in the developed world live on to become adults.

But now since we don't see thousands of our children die and these now non-existent disease do not cause terror in the eyes of parents anymore - conspiracy theorists and media whore pseudoscientists try to disprove the continuing need for vaccinations. Vaccination levels drop, herd immunity is depleted and babies are once again dying of whooping cough in australia - which is a slow and painful death of asphyxiation and exhaustion from being unable to stop coughing. This is the greatest sin of all. Ignorance to the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I was just wondering because I was looking at the FDA site, which is the American list of vaccines and the preservatives used in them and it seems that thimerosol is only used in the influenza vaccines, and all the other ones either have a trace element or no thimerosol. I may not have read the table correctly but that is what it seemed to me. Im guessing they are using some other preservative, [fermaldyhyde?] but I was wondering if the Irish vaccines are the same?

I am not anti vaccine btw I am just wondering.

Advertisement