Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appetite Suppressants ?

Options
  • 04-11-2009 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

I remember years ago reading a lot about Appetite Suppressant medications being prescribed to treat obesity and how these drugs were being used/mis-used/abused by people not fully understanding them or the side-effects.
    One never seems to hear about these drugs these days ? Are they still made ? Do Doctors still prescribe them or have they fallen out of favour ? My Uncle was on one of them for years but always said it was useless and he actually gained weight over that period ( in fairness I can't swear he was compliant :rolleyes: ).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

delancey42 wrote: »
    I remember years ago reading a lot about Appetite Suppressant medications being prescribed to treat obesity and how these drugs were being used/mis-used/abused by people not fully understanding them or the side-effects.
    One never seems to hear about these drugs these days ? Are they still made ? Do Doctors still prescribe them or have they fallen out of favour ? My Uncle was on one of them for years but always said it was useless and he actually gained weight over that period ( in fairness I can't swear he was compliant :rolleyes: ).

What you're referring to are drugs like Ionamin and Ponderax.
    Both were addictive and have now been withdrawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Ah , so that explains why we never hear of appetite suppressants these days. Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giggles1982

There is still one prescribed that I know of - Reductil - an appetite suppressant . Contra indicated by hypertension, depression and can have some bad side effects - dizziness,insomnia, depression. BP needs to be monitored regularily.
    Have heard it can work well ( family friend ) but once treatment stops the old issues can return. As far as I remember it can only be prescribed for a certain period of time .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Was just studying the old diabetes pharmacology earlier.
    Metformin ( a biguanide ) is a drug used to treat patients with type II diabetes.
    It inhibits appetite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭sneakerfreak

Slimfast released pills containing 60mgs BZP before but obviously are withdrawn from sale now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement