Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best wireless BB provider?

Options
  • 04-11-2009 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

I was going to get Ntl broadband cable with my tv, but ti doesnt work in my area (James St).

So I have to get wireless, seeing as i dotn have a phone line and dont want to get a phone line.

Are my options limited to Ripwave (id go for the 2mb option)...ive heard this is awful though. I would be using it mainly for watching youtube vids, browsing and email, nothing to much. Wouldthis be ok for that?

Ive used a mobile broadband (3) and it was awful, unreal slow, so not going for that.

Breeze at 55 per month his just to expensive, cant afford that. Amx i can spend is 35 per month.

Any other options available to me?

Are digiweb an option or do you need a landline, looks like you do from their site...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Digiweb Metro is wireless, and available from about €20 a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ei2jp

I've had Digiweb Metro 12M/1M since June. 60 euros p/m.

Took me the best part of a month chasing the (private) installer to get it installed.

About 4 weeks ago I noticed VOIP and general internet connections were being dropped.

Reported this to support and was told after at three-day wait "we'll look at your connection". Phoned a few days later to be told the cable modem is faulty and we'll send you a replacement. Well, after a week no cable modem so back onto support again. "Can't understand why Joe opened another ticket but it apparently wasn't sent out... we'll send you another in tomorrow's post". Waited 3 business days. No modem. Phoned again. Was told "parcel was returned due to invalid address (my employer in Citywest). "Sending another one today, you'll definitely have it tomorrow..". Next day ... no modem. Following day.. modem shows up in a jiffy bag at 4.45pm.

Needless to say I have cancelled my subscription and requested that they make arrangements to retrieve their equipment.

Sounds to me like it's a case of "its not the service, its the sale that counts. :(

Looking for another provider in the Inchicore area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ei2jp

NTL (UPC) show cable broadband as available in Inchicore but sales tell me "sorry, its not available in your neighbourhood". No ETA on its arrival available.</SIGH>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

jor el wrote: »
    Digiweb Metro is wireless, and available from about €20 a month.

Where is this? I cant find anything like it on their site.

And is Metro better than Ripwave ye?

Where is this? I cant find anything like it on their site.

When you enter your location, it gives options. If it doesn't appear, it's not an option.
    http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/metro/index.html

And is Metro better than Ripwave ye?

Apples and oranges. Metro is broadband, Ripwave isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I have Metro, I have seen ripwave. Metro **** all over ripwave.

In saying that I am moving to UPC now as with 3 people house sharing the 30GB cap isn't enough.

Can't fault the service, always got full speed, never had any down time, no ports blocked, never any problems gaming or voice chating either.

Depends on area though as some people report bad service, I have it in Maynooth. If you are a heavy user (if you don't know post what you'll use it for) then it might not be suitable, otherwise it should be fine.

They have a good stats page for telling you if you are over limit and if are, you get throttled down to close to dial up speeds but not charged extra which is reasonable if painful IMO.

Was about to get digiweb until i see Imagine offering Wimax.Would wimax be a better option? And i see they offer it through a phone line, if NTL cant offer it in my house than is it likely the same with Imagine?

Wimax does not come through a phone line, and Imagine's mobile Wimax service will not likely be anywhere as good as Metro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

And many people on these boards work for Digiweb (not saying above poster does and what is posted is probably accurate).

Your best bet is to wait until Imagine launch and see what people on it post about it here.

I have Metro ATM waiting for NTL and it is good but the caps are low. Imagine is unlimited but that means FUP applies.

Na i cant wait any longer, having no BB is killing me!

Went with Digiweb, a neighbour has it so there shouldnt be any problems.
    I know theres a mast at 3rock and Swords, wheres the enarest one to james Hospital? Hopefull im close enough and theres a good signal. Went with the 8mb option as there will be 3 of us on the house on it, so need the higher cap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement