Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nice places to eat in meath

Options
  • 04-11-2009 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭

hi,

im just wondering if there are any nice places to eat in nvan/ashbourne / anywhere else?

heading for a meal next week, we wanna go somewhere different,thatll give a nice feed, and thatis reasonable.

slightly off topic but i noticed a chinese buffet place inanvan now, what is it like, looks more like a cafe from the outside?! is it good at least??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

In Navan:

Zuchinnis (All kinds of food)
    Gusto (italien)
    The Russell (All kinds of food)
    The Loft
    China Garden

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭w123

Short thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

In Navan
    +1 on Zuchinnis, great food at reasonable prices,
    The Russell does have good food but waaay overpriced and small portions.
    The Oriental Palace(above Expert electrical) is the best chinky eat in or take out anywhere by a country mile.
    Then for indian, Gaylord Tandori across from the lantern is good too.

Thers a great place in Ashbourne and Ratoath also called La Bucca, great atmosphere although can be a bit loud if you are looking for a quiet romantic dinner. the one in Ratoath is next door to The Mix which is also a nice place serving well a mix:)

But save the best for last, Steakhouses
    and meath has quite a few very good ones
    First on my list would be the Snailbox, first class food and friendly staff in a great setting with views over meath.
    Next is Ryans on Ratoath, has a reputation for being one of the best steakhouses in the country let alone the county.
    yet to find one worth talking about in Navan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

But save the best for last, Steakhouses
    and meath has quite a few very good ones
    First on my list would be the Snailbox, first class food and friendly staff in a great setting with views over meath.
    Amen to the Snailbox, fantastic service and fantasic food. Can't praise that place highly enough.

Eatzen in Ashbourne is also the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Never tried the snailbox, have heard its good alright.

Zuccini's is alright, i prefer the russell tbh, but the T Bone Special they do in Zuccini's sometimes is immense.

That buffet place is the one opposit pairc tailetann isn't it, not been myself but my dad says its lovely, freshly made food good choices, and cheap!

After living in the UK, i find the standard of indian take aways to be abysmal over here, when Khan spices first opened in navan it was great, then they changed chefs, and the last two times its not been anywhere near as nice.

Oriental Palace is lovely, really good to eat in, and good takeaway also.

Also hasn't Gusto closed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

La Bucca in Ratoath is great. Great offers in there too. Nice pizzas! As mentioned above it's not quiet but there's a nice family buzz about the place.

Caffrey's in Batterstown. Nice enough grub but it's a bit overpriced.

Francini's (I think it's called) in Navan.

Flames (Thai/Chinese) in Clonee.

And for a special occasion The Stationhouse in Kilmessan. A top restaurant.

Have to try the Snail Box! Seen as it's the nearest restaurant to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Good few options in Ashbourne.

Eatzen is good for chinese food, but it's expensive. Nice once in a while as a treat: http://www.eatzen.ie/

The Cinamon Garden is a newly opened Indian in Ashbourne. Have only eaten there once so far, but was very impressed: http://www.cinnamongarden.ie/

Corks is good for lunch/weekend brunch. Had dinner there once too and it was very good. They do wine tasting nights too: http://www.corks.ie/

No 7 Bistro at the Residents Hotel. Food there is always good. They do a good early bird menu too: http://www.theresidentshotel.com/no7bistro.htm

As others have mentioned, La Bucca is consistently good. All pizzas, pastas and burgers there are €10 before 7pm Mon-Fri: http://www.labucca.ie/

Some others that aren't bad are Asian Mix in Ratoath, http://www.mixasian.ie/
    And, slightly over the county bounds on the old N2, I've always gotten a HUGE feed for lunch in The Brock Inn, http://www.menupages.ie/cuisines/steak_and_seafood/restaurants/the_brock_inn.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

The Thai Restaurant above the cinema in Navan does really good food. There used to be a nice Italian Restaurant beside The Ulster Bank but thats gone a few months now so thats no help to anyone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Nice place to eat is Marini's Italian at Poolboy bridge in Navan, across from Watergate Street. Franco's is the other Italian, further up the hill close to the Round-O, have never been in it, I think they might do seafood as well...?. Agree with you about The Russell, too expensive - for what they charge, I'd expect at least a table cloth on the table They had a ridiculous supplement for parties of 6 in the good old days, and have reduced the prices post-Celtic Tiger. But, they always seem busy, so they must be doing something right!

Out of town, try Eden at Bellinter House - only problem is that it is in a basement. Prob the best restarant in Meath is the one in Bettystown, Relish, never had a bad meal there. It's backing onto the beach, they have toys for the kids, and fantastic puds......

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

I had friends over from London last month, and they are big into their food and eating out, and after much deliberation among friends my mother of all people recommended the Station House in Kilmessan.

They didn't let me down, the food, setting and service was amazing.

I've recommended it to a few friends since and the feed back was the same, so it wasn't a once off.

Not exactly Navan or Ashbourne, but worth the trip IMO. I travelled from Dublin City Centre, and will again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 DaireMac

Out of town, try Eden at Bellinter House - only problem is that it is in a basement. Prob the best restarant in Meath is the one in Bettystown, Relish, never had a bad meal there. It's backing onto the beach, they have toys for the kids, and fantastic puds......

Eden at Bellinter House (Michelin Star) been their over the summer nice venue good food, service the worst i've ever experienced. We waited 1 hour and 20 minutes for the main coarse after finishing our starters. We decided not to have desert. When we got the bill we refused to pay the service charge. Embarrassing
    experience for me as I chose the venue:o

If you want to get out of Navan for a few hours try the Works in Nobber, it's family run chef and all, Nice people good food not to pricey worth a look.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 DaireMac

+1 on the Station House well run,

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Can't really add to all this. Everything seems to have been covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

For a Chinese, I'd recommend either the Oriental or the China Garden, although the former is easier on the pocket. The China Garden is nice but they exploit it too much by charging ridiculous prices. Nearing a tenner for a plate of chicken fried rice is a joke IMO. For takeaways, oriental does nicer curry and more for your portions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Stay away from oscars in Duleek

There is a lot of extas and some things you dont get to much off

For example

You dont get much food for the extra price and a smile from the owner is a lot harder than the frown. Dont bring your kids as you get an instant butler cleaning up and dont talk politics.its a serious fianna fail shop. Just ask enda kenny who was having lunch there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hamlet01

Hey, it really has to be Flames in Clonee.... amazing food and friendly staff!!! Im a regular there at this stage as it is opposite my house!!!

Weekly evening special of 3course meal for €18 approx or a 3 course meal for 2 plus bttle of wine for 56€ approx...(brain freeze and cant think of exact pricing!!!)

The food is exceptional and you can tell the Chef has put every ounce of his ability into it. Id recomend the Thai platter ( if only for the fact they present it with a carrot carved like the Eifel tower) and the pork or duck.

Spotless and hygenic, tasty and friendly, it has it all.... I know I sound like Im involved in it, but Im genuinely a very very satisfied regular!!!:):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pauldaly1888

the wrap shack in ashbourne is very good, they do everything from steaks, burgers, wraps etc, nice mexican feel to it. i also love la bucca and eatzen is great too if not a bit procey. stay away from big ciccerios. horrible food

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

hamlet01 wrote: »
    Hey, it really has to be Flames in Clonee.... amazing food and friendly staff!!! Im a regular there at this stage as it is opposite my house!!!

Weekly evening special of 3course meal for €18 approx or a 3 course meal for 2 plus bttle of wine for 56€ approx...(brain freeze and cant think of exact pricing!!!)

the woman who (I presume) owns the place gives a masterclass in restaurant hosting in fairness to her.

and their €18 3 course meal applies to the whole menu i think, not just some of the more standard choices. don't live as near to it now as I did a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Copper and Spices ludlow street navan top indian and thai fusion food

fab spot and very reasonable 10 outa 10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

bryaner wrote: »
    Copper and Spices ludlow street navan top indian and thai fusion food

fab spot and very reasonable 10 outa 10

That's good to know Bryaner. Thanks for the update. I always thought this was only a tapas bar. I didn't know they did Asian food as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Was in Eatzen (Ashbourne) once, thought it was rubbish. Food was the same or worse than any Chinese, but double the price. You seem to pay for the flash decor.
    La Bucca in Ashbourne was nice and really good value.
    Ryans is fantastic steaks, I heard Hunters Moon does excellent steaks too, same source as Ryans.

Advertisement