Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Clio '01 Temp Problems

Options
  • 04-11-2009 3:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Hopefully you can help me out here… What are the most likely causes behind the temperature gauge on a 2001 Renault Clio 1.2 going up high??

As far as I know, it could be several reasons;
    -not enough coolant
    -the fan not coming on (issue being a broken fan switch?)
    -the thermostat isn’t working properly (anyone care to shed some light on what this means?)

It happened while the car was sitting in traffic.

RE: Coolant – where can I check to see if it’s at the right level? Is it simply a case of topping up the radiator until it’s brimmed with water? (water’s ok to use?)

It’s not actually my car, and there probably won’t be an opportunity to get it to a garage in the next couple of days, so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Don't use the car, wouldn't recommend it as you can do alot of damage warping heads.

There should be a coolant tank visible, check manual.
    I wouldn't say water is perfect but better tgen nothing id of thought.
    Motor factors will sell coolant, some garages too.
    You'll have to go to tge garage, inconvient maybe.

Does your insurance have breakdown assistance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

cabrwab wrote: »
    Don't use the car, wouldn't recommend it as you can do alot of damage warping heads.

There should be a coolant tank visible, check manual.
    I wouldn't say water is perfect but better tgen nothing id of thought.
    Motor factors will sell coolant, some garages too.
    You'll have to go to tge garage, inconvient maybe.

Does your insurance have breakdown assistance?

It's not actually my car, so don't know!!

As far as I know, the temp gauge returned to normal afterwards, and has stayed that way ever since. Presumably spiking because the car was sitting in traffic without the fan on? If that's the case, is it safe enough to drive, assuming the car won't be sitting in traffic again for prolonged periods of time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Not really ok to drive IMO was it you driving?
    There is something gone wrong and needs to be sorted out. Overheating can damage an engine get them to check it if there insurance will tow the car.

Inconvinence sure but id wouldn't drive anywhere if its overheating pull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I'd personally say the thermostat is stuck closed. This is causing the coolent around the engine block to get over hot and since the thermostat isn't opening when the coolent is getting to a certain temp its getting hotter and hotter and the cooler coolent in the radiator can't switch places as the thermostat isn't opening to allow the switch.

Try not let it over heat often (or don't drive the car preferably) as you can warp the top (head) of the engine or blow the head gasket.

Also one way to check the fan is let the car idle and once the car gets hot (ie temp gauge goes halfway or over) it should cut in.

There should be an expansion tank in the engine with a min and max mark and the coolent should be green, blue or red in colour.

If its red don't put water in or don't put blue or green coolent into it either.

Advertisement