Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia to restart nuclear powered space craft development

Options
  • 04-11-2009 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/11/nuclear-propulsion-in-space/
    The Russian space agency may build a nuclear-powered spacecraft with the blessing of the country’s leader, Russian and international media reported Thursday.
    The craft would cost $600 million and Russian scientists claim it could be ready as early as 2012.

Check of the fascinating film from the 1960's about the american SNAP10a nuclear reactor demonstrator in that article too. The past is the future.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

There's no way they'll be allowed to send this into space. The radiation blasted into the atmosphere would be beyond horrific.

Imo VASIMR (VAriable Specific Impulse Magnetoplasma Rocket) is the way to go for the next few decades as it's already been tested in space.
    The craft would cost $600 million and Russian scientists claim it could be ready as early as 2012.

My ar*e. $600m is pocket change, there's no way in hell they could build it on that budget, or in two years. It'll never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Azelfafage

Confab wrote: »
    My ar*e. $600m is pocket change, there's no way in hell they could build it on that budget, or in two years. It'll never happen.

I detect a bit of confusion here.

All probes heading outwards from the sun are powered by radio-isotopes.
    But we still need good-ol' chemistry to get them off the ground.

A H-Bomb might fling you into orbit.

But not in one piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Azelfafage wrote: »
    I detect a bit of confusion here.

All probes heading outwards from the sun are powered by radio-isotopes.
    But we still need good-ol' chemistry to get them off the ground.

A H-Bomb might fling you into orbit.

But not in one piece.

I think he's questioning the budget availiable for research, design, raw products, man-time, launch, mission control, and so on, a list as long as your arm. 800 million is more on the smaller side, however the USSR does have a history in nuclear launch which would reduce the costs considerably.

Advertisement