Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you miss from home

Options
  • 04-11-2009 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

I think that this forum could maybe use a bit of a community feel rather than endless quesitons so I thought a thread about what people miss might be a good idea.

Things I don't miss-
    Dublin Bus

Things I miss-
    Cheddar Cheese and Mayonaise, to the point that I brought them out in my suitcase when I came back to germany at the weekend.:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

Good idea. I miss Jaffa cakes, bacon and cabbage and meals in general that arent lathered in salt or sugar. I also miss being able to watch GAA.

I dont miss the constant rain

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kabuk1

I'm currently studying abroad in Ireland from the US.

I miss tastey cakes, pumpkin pie, girls scout cookies, mac & cheese, philly cheesesteaks, the best Italian sandwiches, VE II (excellent Italian restaurant), way better pizza, clam chowder, etc.

The biggest things:
    1. the prices (including cheap & free shipping).
    2. being able to get a decent night sleep as sports, especially college basketball, are on a decent hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

deisedude wrote: »
    Good idea. I miss Jaffa cakes, bacon and cabbage and meals in general that arent lathered in salt or sugar. I also miss being able to watch GAA.

I dont miss the constant rain

Imagine what you'll miss about there once you're home! :cool:

I missed (when I was studying abroad): vegetables that weren't drowned in sauce/cream/dressing etc., tuc biscuits, panda spread, decent public transport, shops etc. being within walking distance, the city centre actually being somewhere cool to hang out (my study abroad town was a 'donut' town - all outlet malls etc. out in the sticks but nothing in the centre).

Now I'm back I miss my friends, Oreo cream pie, everything being cheap, the weather and college life in general.

pow wow wrote: »
    Imagine what you'll miss about there once you're home! :cool:

I missed (when I was studying abroad): vegetables that weren't drowned in sauce/cream/dressing etc., tuc biscuits, panda spread, decent public transport, shops etc. being within walking distance, the city centre actually being somewhere cool to hang out (my study abroad town was a 'donut' town - all outlet malls etc. out in the sticks but nothing in the centre).

Now I'm back I miss my friends, Oreo cream pie, everything being cheap, the weather and college life in general.

Granted i will miss loads about America when i get home but thats not the title of the thread;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭ToTheSea:

Im studying in america and I miss wheatabix, rashers, proper brown bread. So if any kind soul wants to send me some I will love you for ever!

• Advertisement

ToTheSea: wrote: »
    Im studying in america and I miss wheatabix, rashers, proper brown bread. So if any kind soul wants to send me some I will love you for ever!

O ya, Americans cant do fryups. +1 for everything on that list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭ToTheSea:

Does anybody else miss things that they would only have once or twice a year when their at home?

For me its red lemonade. I always kinda liked it, but dam I miss it like mad here. I cant even explain it to americans without them looking at me funny.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

I'm studying in Italy now.

Miss: Barry's Tea, dark Irish pubs, Going out and getting merry, fryups, baked beans, my mum's "meat and two veg" dinners, shops being open at lunch time, Garretstown Beach, O'Conaill's hot chocolate.

Really, I found baked beans in a supermarket yesterday and I almost cried...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 cmb

Any times I've been away for long periods I've missed having toast, supermilk, hearing irish accents. You really forget how much you love them. I actuallu kind of missed the way the irish always complain about the weather. it's one of these things that Irish people always atart conversations with. ah its a bit mad. Where i was this summer it got very hot and I just so terribly wanted it to rain.

Yes I think dark irish pubs would be another thing. I hate sitting in a bar or standing around one. All I want is to sit a corner booth of a corner pub with my friends it's of this standing around which europeans don't understand. after a long day, it's so lovely to sit down in a dark pub and relax.

I didn't miss barrys tea however as I brought over my own stash with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 St. Robbie

Im studying in Konstanz, Germany at the moment.

Things I don't miss: Living at home, bus to college, parents telling me to get up for college

Things I miss: Saint Pats FC, Playstation 3 , Irish culture, playing football for a team

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I'm studying in London at the moment, so it's not that far away really!

Things I miss:
    - Superquinn sausages and corn bread. It's not like I eat them that much usually, but it's the first things I have when I get home! Much to my entertainment though our local Asda has an Irish section in the 'Ethnic Foods' aisle, so if I want Club Rock Shandy, Mikado biscuits or Taytos I don't have far to go.
    - Pubs being open later than 11.30. Seriously, what is wrong with central London?
    - Taking the piss, Irish-style. I can't say filthy things over here the way I can at home, and nobody quite gets the "Yer ma!" thing. When people try to join in, they tend to say "Your mum" which somehow isn't quite as funny
    - The accent. Over here everyone thinks I'm a potato-munching farmer or something because I sound Irish, it'd be nice to have other Irish accents around me! And weirdly, I kinda miss skangers. The chavs here sound more like "Bruvva, you disrespectin' me, innit?", I'd love to hear the odd "Ah jaysis howiya!"

Things I don't miss:
    - Expensive alcohol
    - Crappy public transport. I find it hilarious the way Londoners complain if they have to wait three minutes for a tube - try waiting 20 minutes for the Dart! Also, I always forget that there are no Nitelinks during the week in Dublin. That's so stupid.
    - People sprawling all over escalators. In London people stand to the right, so if you actually want to go up quickly you can walk on the left, much more sensible
    - €50/60 to see a doctor. Going to the doctor is free here, and so is the Pill (thank you NHS!)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭davocesque

just outside london, so not far for me either. however my local asda, while it has its irish section, it doesnt have Lyons tea, so have to bring them over with me.

I hate when i see someone and i ask 'whats the story?' and they literally think im asking them for a story!!

I hate sunday nights in england, sooo boring.

I secretly miss being rejected from pubs/clubs then 'having' to resort to coppers!!!

Miss Diceys on a tues or wed!!

Seriously miss RTE, especially eamon dunphy, what a legend!!

Dont miss the price of a night out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

London is missing a few things for me but not as much as other places I imagine.

Missing List
    Tanora
    Black Pudding (Decent butchers in general)
    Murphy's
    Decent pints being poured in general. They seem to think having a head on a pint is a sign of being ripped off. Quit pouring my pint till the head runs off it!
    Having a car to drive around in.

Good List
    Transport
    Never being ID'ed and bouncers at pubs/clubs not being surly
    Warmer weather

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Studying in Stockholm and I guess I miss...

Mostly the atmosphere, it's somewhat surprisingly uptight (probably because the local campus is in an area with loads of foreigners, like pakistani, indian, chinese). It's just not the same, and club orange. On the upside I've found an equivalent to barry's tea. Oh and sausages!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Studying in Valladolid, Spain.

I miss Cadbury's, decent milk, decent pork products (nobody can do a fry like the Irish!), international foods - there's no such thing as Uncle Ben's or Loyd Grosman here, and any occasional gem I find costs a bomb! Crisps with proper flavourings, Penneys, proper chippies and restaurants, Lucozade.

When I move home I think my wallet is going to miss Spain. My rent here is a third of what I'll be paying in Galway. A night out here costs a tenner and my weekly shop is cheaper too. Taxis here are mad cheap as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Din Taylor

Studying/living in abroad for 7 years

Miss - Tayto/King cheese and onion. GAA - especially around Championship time.
    Don't miss - Celtic Tiger promoted selfishness of a lot of people. Pretty much the reason I left, long before the recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Liopleurodon

I think that this forum could maybe use a bit of a community feel rather than endless quesitons so I thought a thread about what people miss might be a good idea.

Things I don't miss-
    Dublin Bus

Things I miss-
    Cheddar Cheese and Mayonaise, to the point that I brought them out in my suitcase when I came back to germany at the weekend.:p

Also living in Germany (15 months and counting):

Meat. Good meat.

Irish meat is amazing. Beef, lamb, rashers, pudding... (frys in general)

It's not that I dislike German meat, it's that I find it of a lower quality and it seems to always be pork.

Cadburys.
    Irish milk.
    Tea (Though I have several hundred teabags, I've stopped drinking so much, whenever I fly home, I drink around nine cups a day)
    Baked Beans.
    Proper potatoes (Cliché, anyone? But yes, they're small and not that great here)
    Sunday shopping, in fact, simply, the freedom to do what you please on a Sunday (In one instance, they turned off manually operated (by the customer!) car washing machines, because it was Sunday)
    Sliced Loaf: Whatever they have here, the quality is poor and the slices are about 1/2 the size.
    The Gardaí: German police are quite aggressive
    Bouncers: Bouncers may get their criticism at home, but I've seen bouncers attack people for no reason here, both male and female, without provocation and without accountability.
    The banter: I speak fluent German, but the people are simply reserved. Too much for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭niamhzie

i'm really looking forward to my Erasmus year, but from previous summers away from home, I can tell that I'll really miss random stuff like tiger bread, black pudding, salt and vinegar Taytos, Penneys, "Home and Away" on RTE2 and Ready Brek!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Studying in Rennes France atm.

Things I don't miss: Irish public transport. I don't know how I'll survive without a metro when I get back.

Things I miss: Cheese and onion crisps, Ballymaloe relish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Studying in Rennes France atm.

Things I don't miss: Irish public transport. I don't know how I'll survive without a metro when I get back.

Things I miss: Cheese and onion crisps, Ballymaloe relish.

Relish! Thank you! (I'm making a list of stuff I need to bring back with me after the holidays...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Schapiro

Been living in the states (Cleveland, OH) for a couple years now. Was back last spring and it was awful leaving again. The states aren't so bad, not where I'm at anyway, but it's just not home.

Severely missing:
    -The overall nice feeling you get from people; being able to talk to people without getting a stare of death.
    -The craic and the pubs. Haven't found a decent pub here yet, all filled with big screen TVs and terrible music playing terribly loud so's you can't hear yourself think and people who won't give you the time of day. I found a lot of good sessions though, trad here is pretty fantastic, so I'm not missing that.
    -Digestives, good dairy, tea (finally found Barry's at an import store), the warmth and comfort of delicious soups and stews. No one does a good stew out here! The meat too (probably why the stews aren't so grand, the meat is ****e-and they've no brown bread to go with them!), fryups, dillisk,
    -TG4. I'm probably the only person from the place that misses it (or even watches it) :pac:
    -Mild weather. It's fierce hot here in the summer, and unbearably cold in the winter. Usually stays between -10c and -16 in Jan and Feb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

currently in Rennes at the moment on erasmus

i miss normal 3 sprong sockets :pac:

real tayto and jager its banned in france

and of course my friends and family

i dont really miss bus eireann for one thing or dublin bus or how expensive everything is

Pixie-fairy you're on rennes on erasmus? I'm in rennes on erasmus?! Which uni are you in? I'm in Rennes 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

currently in Rennes at the moment on erasmus

i miss normal 3 sprong sockets :pac:

real tayto and jager its banned in france

and of course my friends and family

i dont really miss bus eireann for one thing or dublin bus or how expensive everything is

You can buy boxes of Tayto in their online shop and it delievers worldwide.
    http://www.taytocrisps.ie/shop/

There is also an Irish Shop across France called Comptoir Irlandais which sells Irish produce (not dairy/meat). It says they have one in Rennes. I go to the one in Bordeaux...bit more expensive, but great to stock up on beans, biscuits, tea, cereal, cadburys and various alcohol.

http://www.comptoir-irlandais.com/index.php?rub=40_magasins_en_france

I've been to that Irish shop in Rennes. Its ridiculously expensive and doesn't sell tayto. The only crisps it sells are salt and vinegar hunky dory. In case pixie fairy is wondering it's on the same road as the westport. If you're coming from Saint Anne to the westport, when you turn left and see the westport keep walking passed. Its about a 2 minute walk in a straight line and its on the other side of the road. The have loads of cadburys chocolate though :)

Also MagneticImpulse, I don't know if you have a Carrefour near you but they sell Heinz baked beans in their international aisle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭virmilitaris

kaki wrote: »
    I'm studying in Italy now.

Miss: Barry's Tea, dark Irish pubs, Going out and getting merry, fryups, baked beans, my mum's "meat and two veg" dinners, shops being open at lunch time, Garretstown Beach, O'Conaill's hot chocolate.

Really, I found baked beans in a supermarket yesterday and I almost cried...

Would you believe I'm living in South Korea and the only baked beans I can find are made in Italy!

Oh yeah and I miss rashers, sausages, milk, butter, sanity and the nitelife (of europe, not ireland)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Hey Michellenman

im in rennes 2 are you there too??

i realised a few more things that i miss........mayonaise and shítty processed cheese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

I'm studying in Granada in the south of Spain. I've been here since September.

I used to miss proper fry-ups and Chicken fillet rolls but now I'm a vegetarian so I can't really complain.

I miss lucazade, meanies and films that aren't terribly dubbed but pretty much everything else I can get.

It's funny though, I used to miss baked beans and wheatabix amongst other thing but then I found out where I could get them. Despite the fact I've never bought them I don't miss them any more. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Hey Michellenman

im in rennes 2 are you there too??

Yep! It's cool, I've figured out who you are..

/stalky stalk
    illiop wrote: »
    I'm studying in Granada in the south of Spain. I've been here since September.

A load of my friends from Rennes last semester have just gone to Granada for semester 2. Prepare for an influx of English people :pac:

Advertisement