Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New central heating system

Options
  • 04-11-2009 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

I've just a quick question about central heating systems.

I've just bought a house that needs complete renovation and was wondering what is the best, cheapest central heating system to install? The house is a four bed terraced. I'm open to anything - gas, oil, electric but not solar, I don't think it's being brought to its full potential yet and there's a lot of improvement in it yet.

Preferably the cheapest would be great but also thinking about long term heating costs so maybe a balance of both?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

....forgot to mention - I need to be able to heat water for shower/bath, preferably from this system but open to suggestions. I think the entire house should have 8 radiators - rooms are average size similar to standard 3 bed house.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You could have a dual fuel system , solid fuel and oil fired.
    A stove that can run 8-10 rads would be perfect with a 50/90 boiler and a dual coil cylender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 skooby

an oil boiler with radiators is the cheapest way you are going to go. tying in the solid fuel is a great idea. i know you are against the idea of solar but it is becoming very popular to tie all 3 together. of all the alternative heating systems on the market the solar is the best. low installation cost and there is no running cost except a small pump which is minimal. maintanence is roughly 6-7 years so its hassle free. i have oil solar a nd solid fuel in my house. i went a bit daft on the insulation side when i built it so i only use the oil as a back up really. i have stanley super 90 which is happy to burn away and solid fuel and heat the the house. the solar is a great way of heating the hot water even on overcast days

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Daragh86

Thanks for the help lads.

Another stupid question I'm sure but what kind of cost would it be to install the oil central heating? Again, stupid, but I presume by solid fuel you mean open fire with back boiler?

I'm not at all against solar, I'm all for it actually but I just don't see it returning your money in the next few years...a bit more refinement of the technology and it would be worth it I think, but thats my very uneducated opinion.

Also, how hard is it to install the oil central heating? I know it doesn;t seem it but I'm a pretty handy DIYer and would give most things a go and suceed. The house is completely stripped back and downstairs is floor boards, not concrete so pipe work would be a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

No, i wouldnt go for a open fire with back boiler - i'd pick a stove with a boiler or a solid fuel cooker. My reason for this is that it is more efficient.

Advertisement