Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any thoughts on this Aircraft Plugin for FSX?

Options
  • 04-11-2009 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've got FSX Deluxe SP2 and as well as using it for fun I also hope to use it to help with my PPL studies. The way I see it, anything I can learn outisde of the €200 an hour cockpit is a good thing!

There's a chance I might be doing my lessons in a Piper Warrior II. If I am, this caught my eye :

http://www.aussim.com.au/piper/default.asp

Has anyone used this particular download, or does anyone have any general FSX downloads / plugins advice. If it works as well as it seems to, I think it would be excellent for me to do my FSX flying in the same plane I'm doing my real flying in, it'd really help with cockpit familiarisation and checklist memory etc.

Do these plugins work fine, or am I opening up a can of worms with FSX? Thanks in advance!

J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yep its a great idea, I've been using JustFlights Tomahawk for ages and its been great for learning checklists, startup/shutdown procedures and practicising lessons before I actually go and really fly them. Very good flight model. I have the GA pack as well which includes

The warrior you linked too looks very nice and reviews seem good, I'd also recommend Justflights stuff as well worth a look. Their Flying club pack might be of use if you're going to be flying a few different types during your training.

http://www.justflight.com/product.asp?pid=88

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭jasonb

Thanks for the reply...

Of course, now I have to figure out which one is better, the Just Flight Warrior II or the Aus Sim one! :)

J.

Well, it's hard to make decisions based on screen shots, but I've decided that if I do go with the Warrior 2 for my PPL, I'm going to get the Just Flight one. If for no other reason than they've actually modelled the windows properly on theirs, the Aus Sim one has the side windows bigger than they are in reality. That makes me wonder what else Aus Sim have done differently!

Got my Saitek Rudder Pedals yesterday too, they make a big difference to FSX and now I can practise using the rudders without having to be in a plane to do it. Between the Tension adjustment on the Rudders themselves, and FSX's Sensitivity and Null Zone settings, I can get the pedals fairly close to reality... It's all good!

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Cool. Very handy for learning how to taxi properly. If I leave it too long between lessons I taxi like a drunk for the first few minutes till i get used to steering with my feet again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Not familiar with that particular aircraft addon, but I've used the Carenado Cessna 152 to help me learn checklists & familiarise myself with the aircraft. Coupled with TrackIr and Yoke and pedals and flying online, it's very very close to the real thing. I actually couldn't believe how close FS X is to reality!

That being said the handling characteristics are well off so you couldn't really use it to practice glide approaches etc. Never a problem adjusting when I get into the real thing though so it's definitely beneficial.

• Advertisement

Well, after my lesson today ( which went great ) I've decided to go with the Piper Warrior, so I'll be downloading the Just Flight version this weekend. Really buzzing from the lesson and I want to get my FSX setup as close as possible to what I'll be flying!

J.

Advertisement