Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suzuki Vitara, Any good?

Options
  • 04-11-2009 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭

I need a jeep for doing a bit of shooting. I was thinking of putting a set of all terrain tyres on vitara. I wont be going anywhere very rough but dont want to get stuck with a car when i pull in on the ditch or down a grass road etc.

Im looking at Suzuki Vitara's from 1991 to 01.
    Which is better the 1.6 petrol or the diesel?
    How are they for reliability? Any known problems?

If i put good all terrain tyres on it will it get me out of spots a car wouldn't?

Im thinking the lwb would be better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

With good offroad tyres they are a great job.Petrols can be got for a song and if your not doing too many miles wont rob you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

fastrac wrote: »
    With good offroad tyres they are a great job.Petrols can be got for a song and if your not doing too many miles wont rob you.

Thanks for the info.

Any more info?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The handling is very old school. it's a tough machine offroad, but its road manners are pretty poor.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The handling is very old school. it's a tough machine offroad, but its road manners are pretty poor.

Thanks colm. Ya i heard it would be rough enough. I wouldnt be doing more than 10 miles a day anyway so i guess it would be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Hi OP, bought a Vitara recently and have to say I'm delighted with it. Havent had much of a chance to test it offroad yet but have gone through a few waterlogged fields (out of mischief more than necessity) with no hassle at all. Was struggling with the 2 wheels but once all wheels are in on the action had no trouble at all so you should be fine. Had a bit of a research before buying and it seems they're very capable.

As an aside, its a 93 1.6 jlx model.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

I had a 92 1.6 jap import short wheel base years ago and I couldn't fault it .
    I often took it off road with a big trailer with two quads in it and never had to get a tow out.
    If your buying get the 1.6 injection not the carb model.
    Some of the diesel ones have the mazda engine and if it goes it's difficult to get parts cheaply.

Cheers folks. Just the type of info i was looking for:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

Dont forget to check out..

www.honestjohn.co.uk

the best site for info on cars and associated problems !

Click on "car-by-car" and then select whatever make/model you want to check out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭aravan

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

I bought an 03 grand vitara 2 litre diesel a few months ago for small bits of trailer pulling. I must say they are lovely to drive with/without the trailer. There are also good on fuel which is alway a plus!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 mosta

I have an 03 vitara with peugeot engine for the past 3 years, it is a very capable jeep especially in 4wd. It is good on fuel too. The only problem i had was the fuel lift pump went it at about 70k miles, it is a common problem and cost €500 to get new one fitted, apart from that they are a good tool. If you are servicing it yourself, they are not the easiest to work on, changing the oil filter is awkward.

Advertisement