Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roads vs. Tyres - are the roads turning to crap?

Options
  • 04-11-2009 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

I know the roads usually start crumbling this time of year with heavy rain, falling temps etc. but does anyone think things are worse this year? I'm primarily talking about country roads. The county councils have no money and I've seen little or no patching done. I've already done in a tyre (€160) and the roads I travel to work on are worse than I can ever remember. I shudder to think what they'll be like after the winter. I've always been anti-SUV for road use but I'm beginning to think my car on low-profile tyres will soon be a liability.

Seriously, are we going to back to the state roads were in back in the '80s? Or worse? The national finances are supposed to be teetering on the edge of economic collapse, I'm not at all optimistic that the roads won't very quickly turn to complete crap...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

I've had tyres ruined on rural Donegal roads when the Council had money, I dread to think what they will be like now that the money is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

just hope that we don't get a lot of frost / snow days this winter. Not only will they crack the roads, but I suspect there won't be much of a budget for gritting/clearing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭BrianD3

They will turn to crap as usual however as patching is something that can be done during normal work hours there mightn't be a huge change from other years. With cutbacks, activities that involve overtime (eg gritting) might be more affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Well they would save money if they patched/repaired them properly in the first place, rather than repeatedly filling a 18 inch hole with a bit of tarmac and stamping it down...

Also, if X contractor digs them up and 2 months later they are in sh1te then X should be back fixing them, unlike today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

In meath they are crap all year round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Agreed about the contractor's. This is where of the lie, they dig them up and half fix them.

Mountrath on the n7 has become a deathtrap to enter. The approach road from dublin is becoming unreal.

Its scary the thoughts of what will happen if we get proper wintery weather again like february no grit no snow ploughes used, start walking now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭roosterman71

cabrwab wrote: »
    Mountrath on the n7 has become a deathtrap to enter. The approach road from dublin is becoming unreal.

Its scary the thoughts of what will happen if we get proper wintery weather again like february no grit no snow ploughes used, start walking now!!!

Don't expect that road to be re-surfaced anytime soon. Once the M7 opens, then it might be down. I can't see them causing bottlenecks along there with the MW due to open within a year (and also cos of the money thing;))

Advertisement