Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking for broadband availability before getting phone line installed

Options
  • 04-11-2009 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭

I am due to move into a new house at the end of this month. It is about 4 miles outside Ballyjamesduff in Cavan. I looked on the Eircom site to see what exchanges are enabled and judging from the map the area I am moving to is covered. However I want to find out for definite.

The house I am moving to is a one off build and the next house is about 200 meters away. The house is wired for a phone line but there has never been connected. If I ring Eircom and give them the address could they tell me if the line has broadband availability? I dont want to get the line activated unless I can get broadband.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You get the neighbours phone numbers and check them, if they all fail you are probably on a pairgain split line arrangement .

I think Net1 operate in your area and provide a much faster service than you would get on a perfect eircom line at 4 miles distance ...1mbit or so.

http://www.net1.ie/images/coveragemap.jpg

coveragemap.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

eircom won't tell you anything about your neighbours house. You'll need a phone number, and you can check that online.

As SB says, at 4 miles you're not going to get much out of it, if anything at all, so alternatives would be worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Gazzer, i can get you an answer from Net 1, or at least an indication prior to a site visit.

for this i need more details of exactly where your house is. if you dont want that stuff on air then pm me.

regards,Rugbyman

thanks,Sponge Bob

Unfortunately you have no way of knowing until the line is enabled. I tried to get DSL in September 2008, the line was enabled but it failed. I could also only get 16.8k on dialup so it was pretty obvious that there was something majorly wrong with the lines in the area. I filed a complaint with Eircom claiming that they were violating their USO (minimum 28.8k) and sent an engineer out - he told me that the lines on this road are rotten and not even suitable for ISDN, they can only guarantee voice calls on them. And this is in inner city Dublin!

After that I cancelled the line but probably ended up wasting about €200 on connection fees and the like. Needless to say I wasn't one bit pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

4 miles will allow for a 1 mbit connection if the line is good. Wireless in the area should also offer more. Any greater a distance, and it becomes hard to obtain the 1 mbps on DSL.

It's hard to guess coverage in Drumlin country so I'd check out those coverage maps carefully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

rugbyman wrote: »
    Gazzer, i can get you an answer from Net 1, or at least an indication prior to a site visit.

for this i need more details of exactly where your house is. if you dont want that stuff on air then pm me.

regards,Rugbyman

thanks,Sponge Bob
    Yeh, me too.
    But I'll need your bank account details and sort code as well as your mobile number and PPS number.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bridestream

My daughter is hoping to move into her new house at Straffan, Co Kildare in a few weeks. The house is max 2km from Straffan village. Anybody any idea is ASDL available and max speed? She needs 5 to 7 mb.

Theoretically yet, you do know it often takes eircom a year to actually install a line into new houses don't you ??

I got mine connected in about three weeks I think. Didn't work though.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Theoretically yet, you do know it often takes eircom a year to actually install a line into new houses don't you ??
    Often?? Care to back that up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There have been many instances, of entire housing estates even, where people claim to be waiting 1-2 years for a phone line to be installed. Some here, some in the national media.

Often = Often.

My next door neighbour has been waiting 2 years because eircom will not install a single pole .

Ah. 2 anecdotal stories. Firstly, the problem of housing estates has been over several years by now. Secondly, I have not heard of any recent reports of estates waiting for a phone line like that.

In any case, my point is that your use of the word "often" implies that it happens in at least the large minority of cases. If eircom were to install 500 new lines a month, (obviously now very much reduced) and 20 of them were significantly delayed out of the 500 orders every month, would you count that as often??

Lads, one swallow doesn't make a summer. Providing facts are better than scaremongering people into wondering how they'll get broadband (or indeed just a phone line) so they can do their job etc.

I live in a rural area where Often = Often like I said . Installs are only done promptly where no pole is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

The fact that they don't have to do anything for 12 months under the USO is the biggest disgrace of all.

The fact that they don't have to do anything for 12 months under the USO is the biggest disgrace of all.
    I agree with you there on that.

I live in a rural area too. I haven't heard of any waits over 6 months in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

rugbyman wrote: »

regards,Rugbyman

thanks,Sponge Bob

I live approx 1 km away from St. Marys Church in Crosserlough. I am on the road that intersects with the R194 at Drumroragh.

Advertisement