Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the chances...

Options
  • 04-11-2009 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭

I dont know if its just my perception but every other thread in here seems to get derailed in no time at all with fukin pathetic snidey comments and immature bitching and infighting by a few people who really should have a bit more cop on at this stage. Its one thing having a little joke or laugh but its the same sh!te over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Its infantile, antagonostic, repetitve (just in case the over and over bit hadn't illustrated that) and having spoken to a few people outside of the forum is one of the main reasons that a lot of people don't bother their arses posting or reading here.

Its the same names that keep at this sh!te and TBH i'm fukkin sick to death of it and i'm fairly sure i'm not alone.

So, whats the chances of a few of the people who keep acting the bollox actually showing a tiny bit of maturity and maybe even some manners and respect for others and letting go of the crap thats ruining the forum once and for all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

<EDIT> Flynn, you know better...
    Z

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

how about you actually name the people you are referring to?

seems a bit infantile to not do so.

i'll start the list:

jtsuited

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I'd put you Daroxtar into pretty much the same demographic as the rest of the regular dance posters (i.e. vinyl user etc.), so I don't really see what you're referring to, unless you're talking about the Hardstyle thread?

My only major gripe with the forum is that it's more or less solely techno based, not much of a look-in for anything else, as if it's mentioned it just gets slated instantly. (I put my hand up and accept that I was part of this slating of hardstyle)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

unfortunately this is how internet forums operate.
    ive only been on one forum where the ball breaking isnt allowed and to be fair compared to other sites this place is fairly lightweight.

im definitely one of the people who your talking about and to be honest if people arent posting because of the slagging that goes on i reckon they should grow a set of balls and man up.its only words on a screen.

most questions get asked and answered and then the threads runs off on a tangent based on one of the replies.this is the norm on every forum.

the hcb is an inside joke that i think everyone partakes in.if johnny would just see the funny side of this and not get so wound up it would go away but he continues to let himself get riled up about it and to be honest alot of people get a bit of a chuckle out of it.im sure johnny gets a good chuckle when he sees one of us slip up on here too.

i dont think much needs to be changed to be honest,i actually think its got a good mix of ball breaking and serious discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Name an Shame:
    • jtsuited
    • vinyljunkie
    • seannash

The Thing is when a serious thread pop's up everyone puts on their serious hat but when an opportunity arises to have a snide remark or two about a few well know gags on this forum why not?

It's geeky enough when you meet people on boards, think how geeky it would be if you didn't have something to laugh about. I must admit I resisted posting in that hardstyle thread until the silly "biggest thing in Ireland" remarks poped up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Daroxtar I think you've a good point. I don't contribute to some threads, because by the time I've read them they've more or less deteriorated into slagging matches.

I've no problem with people taking the p*ss, but some of it is just getting a little repetitive at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    zer chance daraxtar u loser.....

Lovely intelligent response. Have a look here
    Flaming/Trolling/Baiting
    - Posts containing personal attacks on another user will result in warning/ban depending on the post. Trolling is also not allowed, same for deliberately baiting or goading another poster.
    Genral Rule of Thumb
    - Stay within the law regarding links. Respect other posters. If you disagree with a post, attack the post not the poster
    The above rules aren't just being highlighted for Flynn Dog. I'm putting them there because as i said in my original post there's no respect and a whole pile of abuse going on. If the rules were only there for a joke then fine. Why not turn this place into the thunderdome and have a free for all and see what we can really say to each other?

jtsuited wrote: »
    how about you actually name the people you are referring to?

Why bother? Every poster here and a good few that dont post know who you are
    seannash wrote: »

if johnny would just see the funny side of this and not get so wound up it would go away but he continues to let himself get riled up about it and to be honest alot of people get a bit of a chuckle out of it.im sure johnny gets a good chuckle when he sees one of us slip up on here too.

Sean, why shouldnt johnny get wound up when he's being the butt of a joke the whole time? What you're saying is that taking the p1ss out of him is ok but him defending himself is not and if he does thats a reason to keep taking the p1ss. Not just that but you're saying that because a lot of people get to snicker at him that makes it ok too.

Whats going on is bullying. Bullies are pathetic. If someone kept on goading and taking the piss out of me i'd burst the fukker a new arsehole. Internet bullying is the lowest most cowardly form of bullying done nice and safely hidden away in the interweb. Face to face i doubt that quarter of the sh1te being said here would be uttered. In fact face to face i'd say the formality and cordial nature would be like a garden fete at the local rectory. Thats why i dont stand for this sledging from behind a server.

Now when i said that there are people who dont use this board because of the clique i wasn't talking about a few tender kids. I'm talking about some very well known djs and a major promoter that i know. People that we should have on board here, sharing ideas and debating and disagreeing with. People who dont need to use this place but that this place could seriously benefit from having here.
    These guys dont take part here because they see some of the users of this forum as gobsh!tes who just want to guffaw up their sleeves at anyone who has a diferent opinion to them. "Why bother dealing with muppets who just want to gang up on people" was one of the answers i got as to why they dont use this forum. That riled me up no end because thats tarring all of us users with the same brush but when i had a look back they were not far off the mark.

Look, I fully understand how the forums work. I love taking the p1ss. I hold my hands up and admit i do it, but not the whole time and not to the same people. I'm all for having a laugh and if we couldnt do that we might just as well post in the politics forum but at the end of the day acting the cunt the whole time to someone is just being a cunt to them. If you enjoy being labelled a cunt then fine but dont drag the rest of us down to that level.

What i asked was whats the chances of putting tis sh!te to bed and moving on? I've been posting here for a year now and its been going on since before i came here and it keeps coming back. I'm sick to the back fukkin teeth of it. The joke is just too old now. Its repetitive and monotonous and thats just beyond ironic in a dance music forum.

Thats my lot. Peace out

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    <EDIT> Flynn, you know better...
    Z

True, I was looking for a Johnny68 style attack though......!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Interesting but difficult topic. Where do I begin...

I've been on this forum for a long long time, and its dynamics have changed significantly in recent times - I think for the better. We've got some old heads who've been around for years and also a large number of new members who I would like to thank for bringing a new lease of life to the forum.

Some forums out there are quite large, formal and official and not particularly exciting as everyone is a stanger and there is little familiarity or interaction between members. Other however are made up mostly of a tight group of people who know eachother very well and have lots of inside jokes etc - very clicky and hard to penetrate. Often the levels of abuse are far higher than they are here - its not that bad here I do not think.

I think we have a fairly happy medium really. Recently a few members have got to meet each other with the Dublin Clubbing Group -and (if its still alive) I'm sure this will increase and continue to grow. Always nice to meet people you've been chatting to for years or meeting new like minded people too. This brings abetter dynamic to the forum, but like in any group of friends etc - the levels of slagging etc will increase with that too.

Yes I do agree that the forum is fairly biased towards certain genres like Techno but I don't think its really that plausible to have a 'we love and appreciate all type of music' forum in honesty. Unless that is of course you have sub categories for each genre. Lets not forget we are one tiny forum on a massive message board - and not a solely dedicated dance music & Djing website/forum. (I actually tried to set one of these up years ago but it never took off).

Some of the jokes can get a bit snide etc and yes I would like this to soften up a bit but we hate to hard-mod around here and it doesn't work. Jonny has the thickest skin of anyone I've ever heard of and I think he's learning to laugh along with the others (I have to admit I find the hardcore breaks jokes are absolutely hilarious) and in fairness he stands up for himself with little bitching to me. Another example, If you remember that newbie who posted the "History of Dance" compilation which he got slated for "History of Cheese/Shyte" - yes this was pretty harsh but I did step in and try to explain to him. Realistically if they guy wants to start Djing seriously he needs to learn this now before he gets laughed at in the real world.

Dj'ing & Electronic Music, like any real passion people have, can often get quite snobby/clicky - that's just the way it goes. Some genre's will get slack from supporters of others. The Genre debate is not unique here - and there are clear reasons for it. Like the "Top 100 DJ's Thread" etc etc.
    So, whats the chances of a few of the people who keep acting the bollox actually showing a tiny bit of maturity and maybe even some manners and respect for others and letting go of the crap thats ruining the forum once and for all?

Well, I don't think its all that bad really, but yes maybe a slight reduction in the silly snide remarks can be encouraged. If everyone can please continue to use the report function if you see unacceptable behavior - we can monitor it a little more and maybe bring things back into line.

Maybe you could link to a few examples of this?

• Advertisement

Daroxtar wrote: »
    The above rules aren't just being highlighted for Flynn Dog. I'm putting them there because as i said in my original post there's no respect and a whole pile of abuse going on. If the rules were only there for a joke then fine. Why not turn this place into the thunderdome and have a free for all and see what we can really say to each other?

Sean, why shouldnt johnny get wound up when he's being the butt of a joke the whole time? What you're saying is that taking the p1ss out of him is ok but him defending himself is not and if he does thats a reason to keep taking the p1ss. Not just that but you're saying that because a lot of people get to snicker at him that makes it ok too.

Whats going on is bullying. Bullies are pathetic. If someone kept on goading and taking the piss out of me i'd burst the fukker a new arsehole. Internet bullying is the lowest most cowardly form of bullying done nice and safely hidden away in the interweb. Face to face i doubt that quarter of the sh1te being said here would be uttered. In fact face to face i'd say the formality and cordial nature would be like a garden fete at the local rectory. Thats why i dont stand for this sledging from behind a server.

Now when i said that there are people who dont use this board because of the clique i wasn't talking about a few tender kids. I'm talking about some very well known djs and a major promoter that i know. People that we should have on board here, sharing ideas and debating and disagreeing with. People who dont need to use this place but that this place could seriously benefit from having here.
    These guys dont take part here because they see some of the users of this forum as gobsh!tes who just want to guffaw up their sleeves at anyone who has a diferent opinion to them. "Why bother dealing with muppets who just want to gang up on people" was one of the answers i got as to why they dont use this forum. That riled me up no end because thats tarring all of us users with the same brush but when i had a look back they were not far off the mark.

Look, I fully understand how the forums work. I love taking the p1ss. I hold my hands up and admit i do it, but not the whole time and not to the same people. I'm all for having a laugh and if we couldnt do that we might just as well post in the politics forum but at the end of the day acting the cunt the whole time to someone is just being a cunt to them. If you enjoy being labelled a cunt then fine but dont drag the rest of us down to that level.

What i asked was whats the chances of putting tis sh!te to bed and moving on? I've been posting here for a year now and its been going on since before i came here and it keeps coming back. I'm sick to the back fukkin teeth of it. The joke is just too old now. Its repetitive and monotonous and thats just beyond ironic in a dance music forum.

Thats my lot. Peace out

oh boo bloody hoo.

as far as the jonny thing goes....

go through the whole thing and you'll see that he is not some innocent party in this whatsoever. As long as he comes out with the bullsh1t, everyone's gonna take the piss. End of story.

And don't make out it's the same people always riling him. Every time he posts a new thread SOMEONE is taking a go at him. whether it be me, sean nash, even the old school promoters, etc., jonny68 has been abusive to a lot of people on this board. It's just that now it looks like 'ganging up' because he's pissed off a lot more people than just me and sean nash.

Oh and as far as debating ideas and having good discussion. You went quiet very quickly in the laptop djing thread (after taking a little dig at me) after it was quite obvious you were simply wrong.

You think I'm hiding behind a server for internet bullying? You think I wouldn't say these things to anyone's face? Really?

Zascar wrote: »
    I We've got some old heads who've been around for years and also a large number of new members who I would like to thank for bringing a new lease of life to the forum.

Honourable mention. Get in.
    Zascar wrote: »
    If everyone can please continue to use the report function if you see unacceptable behavior - we can monitor it a little more and maybe bring things back into line.

This is probably how you should have dealt with this daroxstar, starting this kind of thread was always going to end in a "suck it up" response.

I think the problem is that everyone on this forum is seriously into their preferred music, their own set-up, and their own take on Irish dance, so when people disagree or slag them about it, they're clearly going to get defensive. Fair enough there should be less outright slagging and heated arguments, but that's gonna happen no matter what we do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

hold on that's a fairly serious accusation. And a fairly substantial threat of physical violence.

so hold on you don't stand for this because you 'know' people wouldn't be like this in person? what about the actual morality of it?

mods are there to ensure things like this don't happen. have you talked to many of them?

oh and can you correct the thread title to 'what are the chances?'. not to be pedantic, but it's a very basic and really annoying error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 OV

Haha, ****ing hell. Daroxtar, if you're getting your knickers in a twist over what goes on here you'd be well advised to steer clear of most other Irish clubbing boards. You may end up combusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

ha, this thread is laughable, i havent seen any sort of internet bullying goin on in here, your man johnny gets the piss ripped out of him, so what, people get the piss ripped out of them all the time, theres a difference between that and bullying, for fuvk sake, i dont see why someone should be overally nice to anyone on an internet forum, especially one were opinions vary so much, i mean i dont know anyone that post here so if i dissagree with someone id be fairly blunt about it, don't need to be pvssy footing around posts, to be honest if i did know alot of people here id probably be more inclined to rip the piss out of them if i didnt agree with what they were saying.

out of any forum ive ever posted on this one has they least amount of argumentive bickering and/or piss taking.

It seems that opinion is very much against Daroxtar here, unless people who do agree are keeping quiet?

I think the core of the point is a good one - there is a lot of the same slagging - I'm not talking about slagging jonny68 by the way - I'm talking about the general slaggin in-jokes which at this stage bore me... "uplifting piano house" this and "hardcore breaks" that

I'm repeating myself here, I've no problem people slagging each other - especially so if someone makes a stupid or incorrect point, but I agree with Daroxtar in that a lot of threads I've been going into recently I just stop reading because it's the same old jokes, same old slags.

I also agree though that because of the nature of what we're discussing - dance music, which is a very broad spectrum and about personal taste, what one person may think is great another might think is pure pants and this will naturally lead to people giving their fortright opinion. That doesn't mean that people have to just say 'that's sh*te' and then proceed to rip the poster to shreds.

hold on a second. if it's the same slagging that's the problem then it's just a case of us not being fresh with our material.

However, an allegation of bullying is a TOTALLY different matter.

Thing is that jonny seems to love talking with such an authorative tone about EVERYTHING. And loads of people like to point out that he hasn't a bloody notion what he's talking about. He's been banned so many times from here for being proper abusive and blowing up at people.
    If he can't handle it, he shouldn't come out with such utter tripe all the time.

He has most of us on his 'ignore' list, so rather than anyone bother trying to argue with him anymore everyone just takes the piss.

When I was approached before about putting him on my ignore list, I told the mod that there was no point because anyone with half an ounce of sense is gonna end up in ridiculous arguments with him.
    And lo and behold look what happened.

Unfortunate problem with forums is that the mods often edit stuff before everyone gets to see it, and jonny has gone proper mental at a load of people here (easily enough to warrant far more serious bans).

Daroxtar, to make out that myself or any one else is involved in any sort of 'internet bullying' is a serious allegation and you better back it up with something better than 'you guys are always taking the piss out of him and it's unfair'.

You think we're all going to ignore the nonsense he comes out with in a sort of amnesty on idiocy just to keep the peace?

I agree with daroxtar to an extent but if people want to come on here and make outrageous comments about Hardstyle being the biggest scene in Ireland they deserve what they get.

Remember the thread where the young lad posted the evolution of dance? I sent him a PM as soon as I seen the thread it to make him aware of the onslaught which was about to come his way but to take it on the chin. He took it with a pinch of salt and that thread became epic.

I don't see anything that would stop new people from posting.

edit: Agree with jtsuited on this one bullying is a strong allegation, and far off the mark imo.

hold on a second. if it's the same slagging that's the problem then it's just a case of us not being fresh with our material.
    :D:D

• Advertisement

However, an allegation of bullying is a TOTALLY different matter
    I assume that these two are separate and not replying to what I just said? Yes perhaps we just need some new material :D

I wasn't implying bullying, again from my own point it's not directed at 1 person, I couldn't care less about the jonny Vs the world thing, he digs his own grave.
    You think we're all going to ignore the nonsense he comes out with in a sort of amnesty on idiocy just to keep the peace?
    Again, I take it this isn't at me? I'm not asking for a peaceful truce between 2 parties, if people have issues with each other and their opinions, fine.

For me it's more the random threads started by people not involved in this that disintegrate into the same slagging. Fair enough some of the posts are ridiculous, like the one Zascar mentioned about the compilation, and it's hard not to laugh - but there's an awful awful lot of sh*te dance music, so it's only natural you're going to get these type of stupid posts in this forum...

yeah tbf, the 'history of dance' thread is a classic one. the guy (obviously fairly young and completely new) took the whole thing really well and we all had a laugh and nobody lost an eye.

really annoys me when people try to make out it's all because we're all into our different genres etc.
    There are loads of posters on here who I never get into a spot of bother with who are into genres i wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

Funnily enough Sean Nash is actually a funky house type (lol!!) and has more in common with jonny than most here (when it comes to preferred genres in that regard), yet jonny let rip into him loads of times before putting him on his ignore list.

To say it's all a conflict of genres is wildly inaccurate. It would be nice to think that that's all it is, but in reality it's not.

joker77 wrote: »
    I assume that these two are separate and not replying to what I just said? Yes perhaps we just need some new material :D

I wasn't implying bullying, again from my own point it's not directed at 1 person, I couldn't care less about the jonny Vs the world thing, he digs his own grave.

Again, I take it this isn't at me? I'm not asking for a peaceful truce between 2 parties, if people have issues with each other and their opinions, fine.

For me it's more the random threads started by people not involved in this that disintegrate into the same slagging. Fair enough some of the posts are ridiculous, like the one Zascar mentioned about the compilation, and it's hard not to laugh - but there's an awful awful lot of sh*te dance music, so it's only natural you're going to get these type of stupid posts in this forum...
    yeah sorry joker, none of my post was aimed at you apart from the repetition thingy.

Nah I don't think it's genres, wasn't saying that, just saying there is awful lot of sh*te dance music.

The term itself - dance music - I'd cringe myself when asked what type of music I like and thought of saying 'dance music'!

I've seen a good few posts coming from people stumbling across this forum - the likes of "I like this [insert random lowest common denominator sh*te tune here] - can you recommend other music like this", I just steer clear - they usually sound like kids to be honest, hopefully it's a phase!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

hold on that's a fairly serious accusation. And a fairly substantial threat of physical violence.

so hold on you don't stand for this because you 'know' people wouldn't be like this in person? what about the actual morality of it?

mods are there to ensure things like this don't happen. have you talked to many of them?

oh and can you correct the thread title to 'what are the chances?'. not to be pedantic, but it's a very basic and really annoying error.

Be as pedantic as you like JT. Title stays the same. Oh, by the way re-read the post and tell me where i say i "know" how someone would behave in person. Sorry for my own pedantry.

In regards to the bullying, well the constant smart remarks directed at johnny are just that. Saying that he deserves it is bollox, you're defending your right to abuse him which in my opinion is just making excuses for your own bullying behaviour.
    The National Crime Prevention Council's definition of cyber-bullying is "when the Internet, cell phones or other devices are used to send or post text or images intended to hurt or embarrass another person.....is repeatedly 'tormented, threatened, harassed, humiliated, embarrassed or otherwise targeted' by another
    The whole point of this thread is that i'm sick of the same tired tedious abuse and snide comments coming from you and a few others directed at either johnny or at newbies who dont share your taste. I just wanted to know if ye'd ever grow up and move on as the joke is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

but alot of new people that come on here, their taste in music is ****, they should be told of this, they more then likely dont know any better and should be pointed in the right direction

brianc27 wrote: »
    but alot of new people that come on here, their taste in music is ****, they should be told of this, they more then likely dont know any better and should be pointed in the right direction
    ha ha - you're making me laugh now.

If I told you your taste in music was sh*te, how would you take it?

People like what they like, being told it's sh*te on an internet forum isn't going to change their taste in music.

If you believe it is, then logically this holds true for yourself - are you really that easy to sway in your taste? Do you only like stuff other people have pointed you in the right direction towards? :D

Be as pedantic as you like JT. Title stays the same. Oh, by the way re-read the post and tell me where i say i "know" how someone would behave in person. Sorry for my own pedantry.

Fairly massive implication here:

"Whats going on is bullying. Bullies are pathetic. If someone kept on goading and taking the piss out of me i'd burst the fukker a new arsehole. Internet bullying is the lowest most cowardly form of bullying done nice and safely hidden away in the interweb. Face to face i doubt that quarter of the sh1te being said here would be uttered. In fact face to face i'd say the formality and cordial nature would be like a garden fete at the local rectory. Thats why i dont stand for this sledging from behind a server."

In regards to the bullying, well the constant smart remarks directed at johnny are just that. Saying that he deserves it is bollox, you're defending your right to abuse him which in my opinion is just making excuses for your own bullying behaviour.

look up the definition of a bully : a person who uses strength or power to harm or intimidate those who are weaker.

contant smart remarks at jonny by me and others are just a reminder of the type of idiocy he comes out with on a constant basis. it is not to 'harm or intimidate' him. So it's not bullying.
    The whole point of this thread is that i'm sick of the same tired tedious abuse and snide comments coming from you and a few others directed at either johnny or at newbies who dont share your taste. I just wanted to know if ye'd ever grow up and move on as the joke is dead.

I can't remember EVER slating a newbie who doesn't share my taste. It does go on around here but I am certainly not one for it. That's not to say I haven't thrown in the odd lol here and there, but it's really not me you're talking about there.

Ironically you're trying to tar a lot of people with the same brush here and trying to make a couple of separate issues into one. A dramatic over-simplification imo.

Look there are at least two clear cut and separate issues here that you are talking about:

1. Jonny vs the world
    and
    2. People slating newbies

2 separate issues.

Oh and the reason I advised you to change the title is for the same reason people shouldn't write serious argument in txt speak. Very difficult to take someone's point of view seriously when they haven't taken sufficient care and attention to use at least semi-proper grammar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Ddisco

brianc27 wrote: »

Sorry , but thats complete bollox.

• Advertisement

If what jtsuited is saying above is true about Johnny blowing a fuse at many people (I havn't been on long enough to know), then he doesn't really have a case about him being "bullied". That's like giving someone a slap and complaining when you get hit back. It doesn't work like that. If you're going to have a go at other people, you have to accept it when they have a go at you in return.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement