Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert as a mature student

Options
  • 03-11-2009 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has any insight into doing the leaving cert as a mature student. I first sat it in 2004 and didn't get very high points. Am now a vet nurse but would like to go on to do vet medicine. But because my nursing qualification is a diploma i can't get in as a graduate. So i've been trying to find out how to go about re sitting my leaving. I'd probably try and do 6 subjects, leaving Irish out. Does anyone know where I would be able to do it.

VEC seems to offer it to people on social welfare payments, and im currently in employment. All I have been able to figure out is I can do it in leeson st. but its like 7000 a year. Anyone know of anywhere else?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

moved to Mature and Non-Trad. Students

Suraheg, you are probably more likely to get useful responses here ... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭suraheg

Hopefully! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Are you elligeable to apply as a mature student through the CAO? I'd suggest that as you would have good experience as you work as a vet. nurse.

Are you looking to do it full time or part time? When do you want to apply to university? 2010 or 2011?

Larianne wrote: »
    Are you elligeable to apply as a mature student through the CAO? I'd suggest that as you would have good experience as you work as a vet. nurse.

Are you looking to do it full time or part time? When do you want to apply to university? 2010 or 2011?

Unfortunately Vet Med doesn't accept mature students, only graduates and as i only have a diploma i wouldnt be eligable. I would be open to doing the leaving again full or part time! Doesn't really matter.. I would like to start in 2011.. hopefully here or in uk. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Oh wow! That's a bit mad!

Well there's plenty of PLC colleges offering Leaving Certificate courses for adults such as Plunketts in Whitehall, Dublin. Trying to find somewhere nearer to you (you're in Navan?)...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Larianne wrote: »
    (you're in Navan?)...
    Meh! ... didn't even notice that! >.<

The local adult guidance service might be able to point you in the right direction, suraheg ...

Meath Adult Education Guidance Service & Information Office

Co. Meath VEC
    Abbey Road
    Navan
    Co. Meath

Telphone (046) 9068249

Email maegs@meathvec.ie

Thanks i'll have a look! Yep am in Navan!

Advertisement