Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RICH PEOPLE USING PHONES WHILE DRIVING

Options
  • 03-11-2009 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Anyone else noticed how common it is for drivers of more expensive to use their phones while driving? Mercedes, Bmws etc. Or am i imagining things? Seems strange. The only reason i can think of is bribery.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

rrrkelly wrote: »
    Anyone else noticed how common it is for drivers of more expensive to use their phones while driving? Mercedes, Bmws etc. Or am i imagining things? Seems strange. The only reason i can think of is bribery.......

well obviously people who don't drive a merc or bmw can't afford a mobile phone. they're too poor to own one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

can't say I've noticed it more with flasher cars but anytime I see someone in an expensive car on the phone I do think to myself all that money on the car and you didn't bother with a phone kit...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That always struck me as odd as well. Surely when buying a €60k car you can afford another €200 for bluetooth?

I'd say a lot have it but either don't know how to use it or are so used to having the phone glued to their ear that they don't know any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭vandriver

I thought that it was only me that had noticed!Around Dublin 6 it seems rife in big 4x4s

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Anyone else noticed how common it is for drivers of more expensive to use their phones while driving? Mercedes, Bmws etc. Or am i imagining things?

Your just imaging things, or maybe your just paying more attention to the nice cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

ive seen it in all sorts and all ages, a hell of a lot more lately too. people have gotten lazy since there's less traffic corp around i think.

Me and my dad always have this conversation, surely if you can afford the car, you can afford a handsfree?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    Your just imaging things, or maybe your just paying more attention to the nice cars.

most likely the case. a bit of a chip on the shoulder by any chance op? did you get stung recently? I dont really see many people using their phones as much anyways. The ones who have it on loud speaker holdin the phone in their hand while driving.. :rolleyes: feckin eejits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

EPM wrote: »
    can't say I've noticed it more with flasher cars but anytime I see someone in an expensive car on the phone I do think to myself all that money on the car and you didn't bother with a phone kit...
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    That always struck me as odd as well. Surely when buying a €60k car you can afford another €200 for bluetooth?

I'd say a lot have it but either don't know how to use it or are so used to having the phone glued to their ear that they don't know any different.

Could it be that something as practical as a phone-kit is hidden deep behind the dash/trim and cannot be shown off? I've know people who will blow huge money on clothes, cars, interior design, handbags whatever (not all women!) but will be the last to get a round in or will bring packed sandwiches rather than eat out...

I don't notice 'rich' people doing it especially more than others but it drives me crazy that the practice is so widespread when going 5 mph over the speed limit or having .00001 mg of alcohol in your blood from a drink you had last Wednesday deems you a social pariah. I think it's a hugely dangerous habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

vandriver wrote: »
    I thought that it was only me that had noticed!Around Dublin 6 it seems rife in big 4x4s
    That's an interesting one, here's a link to a BMJ study that suggests it may be due to what they call 'risk compensation'. This could also be a factor with large cars in general: http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/333/7558/71

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

@OP

How do you define rich?

I wouldn't classify myself as rich but you probably would have noticed me on the phone in my rrs had I done such a thing.

Would you notice me doing the same thing in my 97 starlet? I bet you wouldn't. I've noticed your prejudice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

EPM wrote: »

100%... all cars ahve the same but it just sticks out more in the higher end cars I think....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I must have missed the sun visor on all Beamers and Merc's that says "I am stinking rich".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Or am i imagining things? Seems strange. The only reason i can think of is bribery.......

Nah, just a chip on your shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

vandriver wrote: »

That's because they're usually women drivers. :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I still see a lot of people using mobile phones when driving but I dont think it mostly drivers of bigger cars, though I do see a lot of them and maybe its just because they are more obvious as they tend to be leaning against the window due to the fact that the bigger cars are mostly automatic so they dont have to worry about changing gears and steering while holding the phone.. :rolleyes:

This morning on the way into work I saw a guy in a CLS500, a guy in an older model golf, a girl in a Mini and a guy in an E200 all on mobiles.. so its not just the wealthy doing it.. All this in Dublin morning traffic.. idiots!! :mad:

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

Is your real name Jim Corr ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Is this thread for real? Rich people who drive BMW's and Mercs? FFS......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

I see plenty of goons at it while bouncing around in farm or construction machinery too (although there's a lot less of the latter around these days).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Surely when buying a €60k car you can afford another €200 for bluetooth?
    See the thing is a lot of them can't. Cos they borrowed the €60k on the strength of their 3-bed semi being worth half a million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭Damien360

Might be that you take notice of the nicer car more often and what the driver is doing then. If it was a mondeo/passat etc you would'nt give it a second thought. They are common as muck in the road. Loads of people still using their phones while driving out there and not limited to high end cars. Annoying as hell.

Even today on M8, got a guy in a accord passed me at about 140-150kmph and pulled in to left lane correctly. I was doing 130kmph in cruise. Very soon after I gained on him really quickly and changed lane. As I did he was on the phone with his speed dropping away. A few minutes later he passed me again with no phone in hand.

Phone kits are really cheap. If you can't afford one you can get a bluetooth headset for 30 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I have to agree with the OP!!! Firstly I drive a €1200 cirtroen saxo so am on the poor scale and I have a handsfree!!!! It came free with my phone, which was a cheap ass phone!!!! Nearly all phones come with free handsfree kits!!!!

It really bugs me when I see somebody driving a 09 3 series / 5 series and they are on the phone, it is not an incorrect assumption to say that they are rich!!!!!!!!!

If you can afford a luxury car you can afford a handsfree kit if you don't like the one you got free with your mobile!!!

I am not saying that "poor" car users don't use their mobiles while driving but some one who is driving a €2,000 car would see €200 handsfree kit much more expesive than someone who is driving a €20,000 car!!!!

If you don't have the handsfree - LET IT RING!!!!! And no I do not text while driving...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

I don't know if the problem is any worse for particular brands of car but I do know a few older people (some with expensive cars some with more modest cars) and none of them have any idea what bluetooth is. They have no idea how to set up a connection with their in-built car kit so they don't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Are you the r-r-r-kelly?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

€200? Bloody hell!
    I got this for £33! It's excellent and is voice activated when you want to answer a call!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Supertooth-Visor-One-Bluetooth-Handsfree/dp/B001C3KKYU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1257595619&sr=8-1

I just don't understand the mentality of people. Spend €35 and no chance of getting 2 penalty points and a €60 fine :confused:

Advertisement