Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do people study so much every school day?

Options
  • 03-11-2009 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I was just thinking there, How do people manage to do 5-6 hours of study a day?

For me, it's finish school at 3.30 and go to my schools library from 4 to 5.
    Get collected and go home and study from 6 to 10 at the most. And thats on days I don't have rugby training. Thats only 4 hours, which I reckon is plenty, but how do some people manage to apparently do 5 to 6 hours a night?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Ste234 wrote: »
    I was just thinking there, How do people manage to do 5-6 hours of study a day?

For me, it's finish school at 3.30 and go to my schools library from 4 to 5.
    Get collected and go home and study from 6 to 10 at the most. And thats on days I don't have rugby training. Thats only 4 hours, which I reckon is plenty, but how do some people manage to apparently do 5 to 6 hours a night?
    I wouldn't imagine many do more than 4 hours weeknights:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭loudog

I'm doing my leaving and I gotta tell you I get home from school till five and I'm not done doing homework till 9-10 and I don't take many breaks...oh and I don't just do study either...its all written...I believe its possible...but you have to be mad

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Ste234

I'd imagine people might be just exaggerating how much they actually do.
    I can't imagine studying any more than 4 hours after a day of school.. school is tiring enough for me.

yep...and I wish I had a social life during weekdays...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I think some people exaggerate, I find it very hard to believe that some people only take about a half an hour off an evening. Especially at this stage of the year; it's ridiculous!

• Advertisement

Well I'm not exaggerating with the amount of work I get. Teachers keep on saying that in fifth year you do more than half the course so they just bombard us with essays on absolutely everything. I had to have my RSR outline plan done for today..I'm only in fifth year for gods sake...

loudog wrote: »
    Well I'm not exaggerating with the amount of work I get. Teachers keep on saying that in fifth year you do more than half the course so they just bombard us with essays on absolutely everything. I had to have my RSR outline plan done for today..I'm only in fifth year for gods sake...
    And what school would you be in?

Yeah teachers also seem to forget that we have other subjects to do as well as there's. I'm lucky in that I do less subjects requiring essays than most but still, on weekdays its impossible to do as much as a lot of teachers expect.
    I find it really hard to study properly too... I just get distracted too much, Its all cause I never studied in the Junior Cert and still did quite well, so I'm not used to it at all even though I know so well I need to study now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

Nobody does that much, but people usually end up working tilll 8-9 when they get home and that is probably a good time to quit the books if ur finished all ur work or not. Aswell as that, people who study long hours will never get as much done as people who study efficent 2 hour sessions. I studied 13 geography essays last wednesday/thursday and by writing them out and going over them properly, I could recite them better than my friend who spent the whole weekend just rereading them over and over where it only took me about 5 hours with breaks. Don't be put off what people are saying, go at your own pace, but make sure that your making good progress...

Yeah, just worrying.. I'm not really sure if I'm doing enough efficiently enough, I'm going for high points and it just hard to tell, I suppose I'll just wait until after the novembers for a rough idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I've never done more than an hour, maybe 90 minutes of study ever in a day of my life.

Thats the same as me.

theowen wrote: »
    And what school would you be in?
    Loreto...and yes I did chose a whole lot of subjects with essays to write but teachers should take in consideration other subjects and tests you have coming up. Third week if school, on the thursday I had 4 tests, maths english poetry, history and economics...

And I agree with zoom the way i learn things is by doing written work...I can't just sit and read things, doesn't work that way

Loreto...and yes I did chose a whole lot of subjects with essays to write but teachers should take in consideration other subjects and tests you have coming up. Third week if school, on the thursday I had 4 tests, maths english poetry, history and economics...
    Maybe you should drop on of your essay dominated subjects then:p

Yeah its rediculous really. There is better ways to get people to remember and understand things. Tests just make people cram and forget which just ends up being a waste of a week or two

I thought of doing it but I'd never survive doing physics or chemistry...=D
    and I'm doing two extra subjects (spanish and portuguese) but i don't need to study for those, just look at papers and pretend i did them so i don't count them as study subjects...

Yeah its rediculous really. There is better ways to get people to remember and understand things. Tests just make people cram and forget which just ends up being a waste of a week or two
    Ye I agree I had a biology one this morning and I knew what atp stood for but now its gone....

Some teachers just believe in Test, test, test. Its nearly the more laid back ones that are better in my experience, they really make sure the class understand things rather than just learning things off. If people understand it they'll remember it... simple.

The other thing I find is the whole school system just seems to want people to be good at maths based things which is unfair. Lucky for me I'm good at maths so I have Applied Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Maths to be confident with, but what about the people are amazing at other things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

dont tell me your doing all that in fifth year.......divide that by two mate at the most!

Some teachers just believe in Test, test, test. Its nearly the more laid back ones that are better in my experience, they really make sure the class understand things rather than just learning things off. If people understand it they'll remember it... simple.

The other thing I find is the whole school system just seems to want people to be good at maths based things which is unfair. Lucky for me I'm good at maths so I have Applied Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Maths to be confident with, but what about the people are amazing at other things?

Ye my Irish teacher is completly mad she just rambles on about weird stuff but I've never learned so much Irish, cos you learn it without noticing it...
    That's me I did higher level for the JC and got a C I tried higher level in TY and couldn't do it. I've never been great at maths, languages are my thing thats why I'm doing four languages. Unfortunately for most marine biology courses in england they tend to accept higher level maths people more often...

• Advertisement

Daragh101 wrote: »
    dont tell me your doing all that in fifth year.......divide that by two mate at the most!

I't not my choice dude...My history teacher wants our RSR to be done by the end of this year so we have the proper draft written by the end of September next year. Like we don't have enough work as it is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

I't not my choice dude...My history teacher wants our RSR to be done by the end of this year so we have the proper draft written by the end of September next year. Like we don't have enough work as it is...

well hope it pays off for ya...It may be somthing to do with the subjects that your doing??..because from what i recall, last year i was given about 1-30hr max per evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

:eek::eek::eek: am I the only person who's just doing homework after school and not doing any study yet? DEAR GOD!!!!

Daragh101 wrote: »
    well hope it pays off for ya...It may be somthing to do with the subjects that your doing??..because from what i recall, last year i was given about 1-30hr max per evening!

Possibly I'm doing history biology and economics but i think it has to do with the teachers too. Specially history and English there are always essays to be done or documents to be analyzed and that is time consuming. I'm kind of hoping that after Christmas it'll die down, that's what the sixth years in my school say. For the first term they give you a whole lot of work so people who did forth year get back in the swing of work.

:eek::eek::eek: am I the only person who's just doing homework after school and not doing any study yet? DEAR GOD!!!!

I'm only doing homework...not even dreaming of actually siting down and learning things. If i don't get them from doing homework I put them on my to do list and never touch it again till test time...(I wouldn't recommend it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I've only been studying if i had a test, not really anything else. I know i should at some point but i've no time. This week i had 6 tests and 5 essays to do, havn't done half of the work i was supposed to but just didn't have any time. Teachers pile on the work, i don't know how the expect us to get it done!

well, i'm seriously hopping this is not going to keep up until the leaving...its better if you have little work and be able to do it and understand it than a lot and having to rush it

well, i'm seriously hopping this is not going to keep up until the leaving...its better if you have little work and be able to do it and understand it than a lot and having to rush it
    And you've never heard of the arguement of the LC, that you don't have to understand anything and it's all about rote learning:rolleyes:

We aren't really getting much work to do, but when we do we get loads!! Yeah it's a bit stupid that you can not understand anything and still get an A. Like I can't speak french or anything and I can get good marks in nearly all the written.

• Advertisement

Ye it is kind of annoying I still rather understand it than just knowing it though. Like for economics there's no need to actually go study because everything is just common sense

Advertisement