Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Green Bin. Fingal Coco Difficulties!!!

Options
  • 03-11-2009 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Howdy Partners, Anyone Know what the story is with getting a second green bin. I sent the following email to Fingal coco regarding this months ago

Enquiry Via Fingal coco website : Good Morning i was wondering if it is possible to get a second green bin as it is allways full before the next collection Best regards Brian

The Reply From Fingal COCO

Dear Brian
    Please let us know the reason you need a 2nd green bin. In order to qualify for a 2nd green bin, there has to be a certain number of people in the household, or a medical condition which increases the amount of recycling material in your household. Once you revert to me with this information, I will pass your request on to a supervisor.

Dear _____
    There are 4 adults and 1 junior in the house , the green bin fills very quickly so we end up having to fill the black bin
    with recyclable waste which ends up in landfill! We have tried store up the excess for when the green bin is emptied
    but as soon as this comes its full. We also bring our aluminium cans to the local bottle bank to save space in the green bin.

Best regards

Is it just me or are they extremly reluctant to give out second bins in the knowledge you will be forced to put recycleables in the black bin ensuring them of extra revenue in the form of the 8 Euro Bin tags> Why dont they want me to get a second green bin? Yes i do plan to put virtually recycle all i can. How do i QUALIFY FOR A SECOND GREEN BIN???? Ehhhh i would have thought that filling up the bin in half a week was qualification enough? Do i need 10 Adults living in the house? Its a standard semi D for crying out loud?!
    Any thoughts? PS What medical condition would necesitate a second green recycle bin??????????????? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭maniac101

are they extremly reluctant to give out second bins in the knowledge you will be forced to put recycleables in the black bin ensuring them of extra revenue in the form of the 8 Euro Bin tags>
    Unlikely. Waste collection is a loss making enterprise, those tags don't nearly cover the costs. The losses are passed on to local businesses in the form of rates. The only way the council would get "extra revenue" would be if you reduced the amount of stuff you're throwing out, recycling or otherwise.
    Why dont they want me to get a second green bin?
    Because you're creating too much rubbish - simple as that. One recycling bin should be adequate for two weeks for a house with five occupants, and you're filling it in just a half a week! Try reducing the amount of rubbish your household is creating. Some waste reduction tips from your local council are here.
    Yes i do plan to put virtually recycle all i can. How do i QUALIFY FOR A SECOND GREEN BIN???? Ehhhh i would have thought that filling up the bin in half a week was qualification enough? Do i need 10 Adults living in the house?
    You can't expect the council to give you more bins just because you're creating far more waste than your neighbours.
    Its a standard semi D for crying out loud?!
    Precisely!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

Newspapers can fill a green bin pretty quickly, so if you have plenty, its worth making a case. I have seen quite a few houses with 2 green bins, so it is possible.

For a family of five, we fill our green bin in two weeks and we dont buy newspapers! - and we crush the contents

On the negative side, the amount of non-recyclable rubbish that people put in green bins is terrible - you may be submiting yourself to a bin inspection! Bins are often filled with non-recycleable plastics and often the waste food contents is never cleaned out - hope you are not one of those..

Advertisement