Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drive To OZ

Options
  • 03-11-2009 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Call me crazy but im giving serious consideration to the above...

What an adventure it'd be...

Its approx 16,000miles over every sort of road imaginable in all sorts of climates...

What car would you choose........And Why???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

80 series cruiser. That's what they're built for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Call me crazy but im giving serious consideration to the above...

What an adventure it'd be...

Its approx 16,000miles over every sort of road imaginable in all sorts of climates...

What car would you choose........And Why???

Mitsubishi Shogun, If you ask why just watch Long Way Round. The things a beast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Anything 4X4, economical and with CC/AC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

You should check these guys website they did in in 2002

http://www.dublintosydney.com/NewWebSite/menu.htm
    The website of Mark, Simon and Annesley.
    3 Irish guys who successfully drove from Dublin, Ireland to Sydney, Australia.
    This website follows their adventures from Ireland, across Europe, Russia, China, South-East Asia and Australia.
    Read about how they managed to do it, view their photos and watch their videos:

And they did it with a round trip with a 1993 BMW

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Good god look at the fuel prices UL75.9 / DL77.9. /me shakes fist at goverment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Get yourself a Subaru Legacy, seen a couple going for around
    the €1000 mark. There hardy, 4 wheel drive and come with A/C.
    Go for it and put up plenty of pic's. You only live once. Good luck too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Hal1 wrote: »

That car was taxed until July 09 according to my wheels.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

a guy from work did it years ago (well most of the way)- a few of them bought a transit van and kitted out the back with beds and the essentials and off they went - down through Iraq and the middle east. They ended up in Vietnam for a before shipping the Van back to Ireland I believe and heading on themselves for Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Anan1 wrote: »

Forester Turbo :eek:

Cracking wagon tho ! cool site..

6701101.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MotteDai

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    You should check these guys website they did in in 2002

http://www.dublintosydney.com/NewWebSite/menu.htm

And they did it with a round trip with a 1993 BMW

What a great storey, i was living in USA at the time so I missed it, fair play t them and good luck to yu if yu do it .. thats a real challenge..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Hal1 wrote: »

Pence sterling though. They're in Northern Ireland I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

as you will know from the lads who done it in 2002.. It cost them somewhere over 40k in Costs:eek:
    And in one country they travelled through, can't remember which but they mentioned that they had trouble getting the car through the country legally.

Perhaps consider getting a group of friends together and doing it for charity? Perhaps Summer 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that those guys that did it in the beemer were given a brand new 3 series by BMW when they got home, due to all the publicity BMW got through the blog etc.

If it's true, happy days:D

Can anyone confirm this?I'm pretty sure I didn't read it in the Sun:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Toyota land crusier amazon for the win!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I read at the time that the 3 series was at the dealers for a no expense spared overhaul before the trip, all at the expense of bmw. It would have been a big no no if the car feel in a heap half way there.

I would take an audi 80. No silly niggles there to put a halt to the trip.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pence sterling though. They're in Northern Ireland I think.

"4 Star LRP" almost certainly confirms that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

MYOB wrote: »
    "4 Star LRP" almost certainly confirms that.

And the super unleaded! But still, you're paying over a pound a litre up there these days. That photo was last edited on December 2002.
    And in one country they travelled through, can't remember which but they mentioned that they had trouble getting the car through the country legally.
    Don't know if this was the reason, but I believe it is illegal to drive RHD cars in certain LHD countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

A trip ive thought about many times, planning on doing it at some stage in life.
    Id take a landcruiser or a merc G wagon

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

mercedes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I would LOVE to do this. I just had relatives from Australia leave here after a few days stay, imagine their faces if I pulled up in Perth next year some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You could conceiveably do it in a citroen 2cv, but for comfort reliability and being able to take enough supplies/water in comfort without overloading the car I would go for a Landcruiser 80 series.
    No IFS, all the comfort you could want, and roomy in the back.

I reckon their route is spot on. I'd try to avoid North Africa and the Middle East if I were doing it.

Don't Australia have fairly tight restrictions on vehicles from outside Oz being taken in, regardless of where they are from?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You could conceiveably do it in a citroen 2cv, but for comfort reliability and being able to take enough supplies/water in comfort without overloading the car I would go for a Landcruiser 80 series.
    No IFS, all the comfort you could want, and roomy in the back.

Also, I'd imagine there is an availability of Toyota parts in every corner of the world.

Mercedes too. What about a G-Wagen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

if I had to choose.... I would have to take one of these..... perfect for everything.... the bowler wildcat
    bowler-wildcat-jump.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Yep nice for 4x4 trials but try getting a halfshaft in the Central african republic;)
    TBH it's not just about off road performance, more reliability, load carrying and spare parts availability.
    If you could get a 78 series troopcarrier, you could do it more or less out of the crate.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Well this one has already proven itself http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1305711.htm
    Or you could take this back home http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1317180.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Tatra FTW, Nuff said :D

tatra.jpg

Advertisement