Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

YBS Superquilt multifoil insulation...?

Options
  • 03-11-2009 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hello. Has anyone any real life experience of the performance of Superquilt as an insulation ?
    I am aware of previous posts questioning the performance and claims made of multifoil insulation but as I understand it Superquilt is now recognised to meet building regulations (in the UK at least) as long as it is installed properly i.e. with a 25mm gap on either side.
    Is this stuff too good to be true ? Or is it just a big waste of money ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Is it IAB or BBA certified? I think not......
    Until it is either one or the other I will not be rating it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭PaddyThai

I put it in a few projects until I researched it and found it may not live up to expectations.
    On a practical note, I understand the joints have to be sealed for it to perform properly. This can be very difficult at acute angles in a sloping roof. Also if you are not wrapping a whole building as in timber frame you have a gap where roof meets wallplate.
    Recessed lights and other services can be a problem alsoe.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭redeight

Thanks for the replies.
    I have been looking it up and have found a few things on it that make me think that it may be ok if installed properly ( i.e taped at the joints and with air gaps. )
    I am specificaly inerested in Superquilt not just generic foil insulations or that silver bubblewrap stuff.
    According to their website its fully certified
    From the info sheet :

" Hot box testing approval BDA: BPD 08-275 • BDA: BPD 08-276 • BDA: BPD 08-277

BDA Agrément Nr.BPD 08-275, BPD 08-276, BPD 08-277

Z-23.11-1723 LABC 362-3-7138 CIM 122/R3 167855 BPD 08-275, BPD 08-276"

I was thinking of using it in conjunction with 200mm isover (200mm isover in between the 9" rafters, superquilt , counterbatton, tounge and groove finish)

Do you think it would be better to just use 150mm kingspan between the rafters ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Total shyte...

I rang this company in England about a month ago to find out the Lambda value. The would tell me anything but the information i needed.

The guy on the phone just kept saying oh we can achieve a U-Value of 0.20 with this specification. When i got a spec brochure though the post it said it could reach 0.20 Uvalue with 100mm Kingspan behind.

Again Total Crap. Dont be fooled, and always ask how for the specification to achive a good U-value.

Advertisement