Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Finance Advice

Options
  • 03-11-2009 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭

Was thinking of buying a second hand car through car finance and have a few questions.

1. Is there a deposit I have to give to the dealer?

2. Can I pay for half of the car and get the rest on finance? (car is €10,000)

3. Or would I be better off gething a car loan from the bank?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

In your case, you should probably get a personal loan from the bank. It would only be for 5k and the banks were traditionally cheaper.
    You then go to dealer with all the funds ready to go and fight him for a deal

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

What ^^^ said.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

what mickdw said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

defo what he said

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

BOI personal loan rates are around 12% APR aren't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

Prepare to be raped if you agree finance with a dealer. The dogs on the street knows they are the last resort for financing a car. (Although the most obvious!)

Get down to the Credit Union or Personal Bank Loan..
    And bargain hard with the dealer, straight sale price, you're gaurenteed to get it cheaper.

What car / year you looking at anyway? Just so we know you are not getting ripped off at €10k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Im interested in a 2005 ford focus 1.4. Priced at 9,500.

Never ever get dealer finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If it were me i'd buy a car for €5000 and forget about finance altogether - €5k goes a long way these days. Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

€9500 for a nearly 5 year old 1.4 Focus is a bit steep. Any link to the car?

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200943195621653

There's a 1.4 Focus for €6850. Looks like an LX with Zetec wheels. Just saved you €2650 mate....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Advertisement