Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of Eircom

Options
  • 03-11-2009 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm having huge problems with eircom over the last year, it drops 4-5 times a day. Having to reset each time. They say the line if fine and won't do anything about it.

My parents haven't a ****in breeze about this sort of stuff and don't recognize the problem or that they are getting ripped off...

My question is, since they want to stay with eircom, can I pay for a separate installation of NTL 20mb ad have it running along side? Do they just drop in a box or what happens?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Zangetsu wrote: »
    Hey all,

I'm having huge problems with eircom over the last year, it drops 4-5 times a day. Having to reset each time. They say the line if fine and won't do anything about it.

My parents haven't a ****in breeze about this sort of stuff and don't recognize the problem or that they are getting ripped off...

My question is, since they want to stay with eircom, can I pay for a separate installation of NTL 20mb ad have it running along side? Do they just drop in a box or what happens?

Thanks.

Just and idea. If you are using a Netopia router go to the default gateway 192.168.1.254 > expert mode > Configure > Connection > Connection Type set to "always on".

I'd recommend NTL myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

Went to connection and got the following options:

Quickstart

For most users, Quickstart includes everything needed to configure a connection to your Service Provider.

LAN

Configuration options for the Local Area Network side of the Gateway.

WAN

Configuration options for the Wide Area Network connection on the Gateway.

Advanced

Advanced configuration options for the Gateway. Consult the user documentation or help text before changing any of these configuration options.

None of which have the option.

Thanks though!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Can you ge the attenuation and the SNR Margin and post them here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'm about done with Eircom now. My connection seems to be messed up, my modem has all the available lights on but the DSL connection just keeps flashing, I've rung their technical support and their broadband "experts" have just given me the same old same old crap. I'm nearly 100% sure it's the modem as if I plug my laptop in via ethernet it says 'ethernet cable not connected', but Eircom insist it's the line.

The matter was escalated to a technician, who in 3-5 working days will get his lazy arse to the exchange and investigate. If he finds no fault he'll come to the house and I'll be charged a 100 euro fee. Good luck, I'm off to UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Zangetsu wrote: »
    Went to connection and got the following options:

Quickstart

For most users, Quickstart includes everything needed to configure a connection to your Service Provider.

LAN

Configuration options for the Local Area Network side of the Gateway.

WAN

Configuration options for the Wide Area Network connection on the Gateway.

Advanced

Advanced configuration options for the Gateway. Consult the user documentation or help text before changing any of these configuration options.

None of which have the option.

If you go into Advanced option then you should see either Exper Mode > Configuration. You might have older model of the Netopia router.

Thanks though!
    I'm nearly 100% sure it's the modem as if I plug my laptop in via ethernet it says 'ethernet cable not connected', but Eircom insist it's the line.

If the DSL light on the Netopia is flashing then it's either a problem at the exchange or Netopia. If the DSL light is solid then i would suggest you check the eithernet cable in the other ports on the Router to be sure.

• Advertisement

Do you know if the connection is dropping when a phone call comes in? It could be a problem with your ADSL filter. If you don't have a filter then get one.

I'm about done with Eircom now. My connection seems to be messed up, my modem has all the available lights on but the DSL connection just keeps flashing, I've rung their technical support and their broadband "experts" have just given me the same old same old crap. I'm nearly 100% sure it's the modem as if I plug my laptop in via ethernet it says 'ethernet cable not connected', but Eircom insist it's the line.

The matter was escalated to a technician, who in 3-5 working days will get his lazy arse to the exchange and investigate. If he finds no fault he'll come to the house and I'll be charged a 100 euro fee. Good luck, I'm off to UPC.

Just a follow up to this:

Engineer knocked at my door this morning, (without phoning me as they said they would) I explained me problem to him and without even seeing the modem he knew my problem exactly. My power cable for the modem was wonky and it was apparently a known problem, he then went on to say how inept the technical support was and that they should have known the problem from my description. Very impressed with the engineer, he also said there was no charge for this as he wasn't needed to show up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

That is not true and you know it. You may be charged €100 if an engineer comes out and finds out you didn't do something such as having filters installed or if something else is causing the fault (Sky box or fax machine or something like that).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Engineer knocked at my door this morning, (without phoning me as they said they would) I explained me problem to him and without even seeing the modem he knew my problem exactly. My power cable for the modem was wonky and it was apparently a known problem, he then went on to say how inept the technical support was and that they should have known the problem from my description. Very impressed with the engineer, he also said there was no charge for this as he wasn't needed to show up. :D
    Well there you go! Problem solved! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

devnull wrote: »
    Can you ge the attenuation and the SNR Margin and post them here?

I'm an internoob :P
    Karsini wrote: »
    Do you know if the connection is dropping when a phone call comes in? It could be a problem with your ADSL filter. If you don't have a filter then get one.

No phone calls, we have a separate line for that...

Glad to see you got sorted Zapp, at least they're doing something somewhere lol...

• Advertisement

Well there you go! Problem solved! ;)

Yeah I'm delighted, just have to wait for a new modem to be delivered to the house now. Still tempted to move to UPC for the faster speeds though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

That's some engineer all right. Able to diagnose a "wonky power cable" without even seeing the equipment! :rolleyes:

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    That's some engineer all right. Able to diagnose a "wonky power cable" without even seeing the equipment! :rolleyes:

Roll your eyes all you want, he was right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Roll your eyes all you want, he was right.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

How do you know he was right?

Have you received the new modem?

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

How do you know he was right?

Have you received the new modem?
    Well he brought in a modem from his van, plugged that in and it worked. Then he used the power cable from his modem in my one and it worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭flanzer

Everytime I ring Eircom to complain about my connection, they tell me to rebuild the PC.....shower of cnuts

NTL are in my estate barring my road, as the shower of cnuts in the house at the end of my road won't let NTL near their property in order to extend the service to my road.

And the saga continues:

I'm still without my modem so I rang support again and they said that according to their records it was a wiring problem in my house and no order was placed for a new modem!

So inept...

Advertisement