Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car audio sellers (BMW radio)

Options
  • 03-11-2009 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Backstory:
    Car was broken into start of October, window smashed and headunit stolen. Window was replaced under glass cover, but radio was an after market unit that was in the car when purchased, so insurance will only cover replacement with a stock unit (nuts I know since original BMW headunits new are way more expensive than equivalent third party units).

So Now:
    Having little to no joy in tracking down a place that sells either new or refurbished BMW radio units (probably will have to be a refurbished, since new are prohibitively expensive).

I obviously need to send the quote to the insurance company so ebay is pretty much out of the question, not mention it's somewhat hard to tell exactly what I would be getting, and returning it if there are problems wouldn't be an option there.

I'm sure there must be some places around that supplies these, but I'm striking out at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

All you need is an invoice showing a BMW radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

If the insurance is paying for it why not buy a new unit from direct from a BMW dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

AFAIK most companies have a cap on how much they'll pay out for audio equipment. on my car it's betwen 5% of the insured value of the car up to some maximum amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭electrofelix

colm_mcm wrote: »
    All you need is an invoice showing a BMW radio.

Thought they had requested me to get a quote, but if it has worked that way before, it might still I'll go get clarification. Thanks for the tip.
    robbie99 wrote: »
    If the insurance is paying for it why not buy a new unit from direct from a BMW dealer?

As colm_mcm mentioned there is a limit, and even a refurbished unit from BMW will be in the region of €500-600, and a new one around €800 (based on prices from some online BMW parts retailers, dealers are usually close but never significantly different and frequently more expensive oddly enough).

Insurance company will only cover ~300 provided it's a standard BMW radio. If I had the receipt of the old radio from the previous owner, then they would have covered more based on the value of the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Would this suit you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭electrofelix

Guess I didn't think to check adverts section :), will respond in that thread.

Advertisement