Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to bend the rules as a Second Chance Student?

Options
  • 03-11-2009 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys,

Just like everyone else I'm a little bit stressed about reapplying to uni and need some help!

My situation is this:

Next year (2010) I am hoping to attend Nuigs foundation course in science and engineering for two reasons,
    1) Really need to brush up on "learning skills" and catch up to students fresh out of the Leaving Cert
    2) When I finish the course I will be able to apply as a mature student, ( Im 23 on the 16th of jan 2010, killer just a few days late!)

So after this I wanna apply for the Science degree and continue with that; here lies my problem!
    I started a degree in Lit in Sept 2006 and dropped out in November. I talked to two different people in Nuig to find out if I qualify for second chance student status and got two different answers. One said because my first course actually ended in 2007 I would have to wait till 2012 to enter the degree as a s.c.s, and the other person said because I dropped out in November and the Science degree starts in Sept its not yet 5 years between so again I would have to wait till 2012.

Basically I want a definitive answer to what exactly is the meaning of second chance student, are either of these people correct?

Also as a cheeky side note, would it be possible at all to get Lit to say I dropped out earlier than I actually did? Say in September hence bringing me back up to 5 year gap? I doubt this is possible but I am seriously desperate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

second chance student referrs to your entitlement to the higher education grant

I don't see a problem if that was your first and only start of a third level course.

Advertisement