Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Air Con - Sore Throat

Options
  • 03-11-2009 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

For about a year now I've been getting sore throats when ever I use the air conditioning in my car on medium-long journeys. If there is a passenger in the car they also get sore and dry throats.

Anyone have any idea if this is in fact related to my air conditioning and how I can stop it?

I drive a Passat. It has 'Auto' and 'Econ' mode. Econ mode doesn't give me a sore throat but it does let the windows get all misty on rainy days, so I have to leave on Auto.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The aircon dehumidifies the air. AFAIK Econ mode on a new Passat just turns the AC off, as opposed to Japanese cars where it uses it when necessary as opposed to all the time.

Maybe pointing the air to defrost or towards your feet with fresh air coming through the vents is possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I had a similar problem myself. I used the Comma Air Con Cleaner and it has improved things somewhat. You can pick it up in Halfords for about €20 iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I presume it's because the conditioned air is so dry - I get a sore nose from the aircon sometimes. You could also see if you can get some sort of anti-bacterial additive for the aircon in case that's what the problem is.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

AC is designed to remove moisture from the air and this is the presumable cause (it would be more so if you use your mouth to breathe rather than your nose).
    Check your pollen filters anyhow, but assuming the system is working fine, etc. then all I can say is to either stop using it or keep sucking on some lockets!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AFAIK Auto uses the a/c compresser when necessary, so it might be possible to reduce this by changing the set temperature?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I'll try the Comma Air Con Cleaner from halfords and I'll change my pollen filter. It's looking a bit grubby but I've seen them worse for wear.

I'm nearly sure Auto will only use air conditioning it when it needs it. But I think the problem is with it using the dehumidifier. That is running constantly.

I'd like to use use Econ and manually have the air blowing at the windows, but once I press the front window demist button, the dehumidifier kicks in even with Econ on. What I tried recently was to only have the air blowing at my feet while on Auto. But even then I will feel it on my throat.

I'm going to be a throat locket addict by the end of this winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭al2009

Make sure the air con is not set to recirc, using fresh air alleviates the symptoms to a large extent, alternatively crack the window once in a while, outside air is needed to temper the dehumidified air.

Advertisement