Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing a word doc through website

Options
  • 03-11-2009 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hi

With very limited knowledge, I've done the website for work using a basic package, Website X5. It's fine for what I've wanted so far.

I want to set up a word document that colleagues can access from home, edit and re-save. Is this a runner and, if so, how do I go about it? The website is saved on my laptop. I rang the company that hosts the website but the guy wasn't all that helpful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Could you use Google Docs instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dammo

No experience of Google Docs. What's the story with that?

Not being smart, but google it! It's an online spreadsheet / word processor / presentation suite. You can share documents so they can be updated by multiple people over the internet.

eoin wrote: »
    Not being smart, but google it! It's an online spreadsheet / word processor / presentation suite. You can share documents so they can be updated by multiple people over the internet.

Lol. Had just hit send on last post when it dawned on me to google it. D'oh!

Yeah had a look. Might be an answer but even though cost is minimal I can see boss's face.

Thanks

Is the problem that the boss wants it all done under your corporate website? MS Sharepoint allows for easy collaboration, but I doubt it's cheap and I hated working on it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

SharePoint comes in 2 editions, WSS and Office Server.

WSS 3.0 is free whereas you need to pay for the Office Server editions

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not being smart, but google it!
    bad advice!
    If you type google into google you can break the internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I would look into the suggestions above first ,as their is another way(much more difficult way), which involves server side programming to create upload and repository management functionality.

hobochris wrote: »
    I would look into the suggestions above first ,as their is another way(much more difficult way), which involves server side programming to create upload and repository management functionality.

Hobo, try to imagine Homer Simpson's reaction to hearing the phrase 'repository management functionality' and you'll have some idea of my depth of knowledge on this stuff!

Thanks for the tip though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Keewee6

just upload it and put a hyperlink to it

Keewee6 wrote: »
    just upload it and put a hyperlink to it

What happens when someone downloads it and makes changes then? Or if multiple people do the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Keewee6

What happens when someone downloads it and makes changes then? Or if multiple people do the same thing?

convert it to a pdf file then

So people can't make changes at all? I think you've missed what the OP is looking for. He wants people to be able to colloborate on this document over the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

Could you use Google Docs instead?

I was just gonna say 'Google Docs' . Surprisingly your hosting company never heard of it.

Yeah, guy on the phone sounded totally disinterested. TBH I'm not sure he understood what I was looking for.

To be fair, it's got nothing to do with the hosting company unless they are a web design & development company that did your site for you and also provide the hosting.

Fair enough, I accept that but all I wanted was to be pointed in the right direction. I didn't really want him to do anything about it for me - just provide some basic info. If he'd even mentioned google docs I could have, eventually, googled that myself (conscious of the danger of breaking the internet!).

Advertisement