Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC and MAC addresses

Options
  • 03-11-2009 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I'm getting a hard sell from one of the UPC/Chorus lads and I see there are as many -ves as +ves about them posted here. The big issue for me is whether they'll support MAC addresses as this is the way I control access to my wireless network. Does anybody know if this is possible? I've heard both.

Thanks,
    Paddy Healy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

A) MAC address filtering is a rubbish way of securing a network, it really does nothing.

B) Any router worth a damn will support MAC filtering. Depends on whether you get a router or not, as you don't always. Sometimes it's just a modem, with Ethernet connection. You can always just use your own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You should always buy your own router to stick behind what ever the company gives you; that way you have full control to do what the heck you want with it and what goes on.

As noted MAC routing is of limited use; a proper WPA2 key, MAC routing and a .252 net with a firewall on your PC might make you a bit safer though. Then again 99% of the issues/crap on a PC is user requested and not from wirless (not that wireless tend to be hard to get into in the first place) if so inclined).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

MAC address filtering is useless. Google "mac address cloning" or "mac address changing" and you'll find all the free software you need to do it.

HP's software to use two NICs in a redundant configuration gives you the option to enter a new MAC address on the virtual interface manually.

If that's all you do to secure your wireless network then your wireless network is entirely unsecured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

healyp wrote: »
    I'm getting a hard sell from one of the UPC/Chorus lads and I see there are as many -ves as +ves about them posted here. The big issue for me is whether they'll support MAC addresses as this is the way I control access to my wireless network. Does anybody know if this is possible? I've heard both.

Thanks,
    Paddy Healy

What modem are you using-is it the default modem that upc send out?

Also you should really use WPA PSK or WPA2 PSK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 healyp

Sleipnir wrote: »
    MAC address filtering is useless. Google "mac address cloning" or "mac address changing" and you'll find all the free software you need to do it.

HP's software to use two NICs in a redundant configuration gives you the option to enter a new MAC address on the virtual interface manually.

If that's all you do to secure your wireless network then your wireless network is entirely unsecured.

OK, I can see that the MAC address could be faked but how would they know what MAC addresses to assume? Is there a way they can tell what ones I "allow access to", other than physically getting a hold of my machine?

Thanks for all of the help (from you and others),
    PH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Yes, very simple, all the intruder has to do is intercept and capture the wireless traffic on your network with a sniffer program like Kismet or NetStumbler. The MAC address of all devices communicating on the network can be read off directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

what he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

OK, I can see that the MAC address could be faked but how would they know what MAC addresses to assume? Is there a way they can tell what ones I "allow access to", other than physically getting a hold of my machine?

Thanks for all of the help (from you and others),
    PH

No wireless is secure, if you want it that secure use cables. The average joe wouldn't have a clue what to do and unless you've some valuable data stored on your pc I wouldn't be worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭BOZG

Thanks,
    Paddy Healy

To answer your question, the Netgear router that I received from UPC does have Mac filtering.

Advertisement