Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Netopia router and home webserver.

Options
  • 03-11-2009 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

I am trying to setup a home webserver over eircom BB, but seem to be having some issues getting this to work

I am using the following config:
    • Apache Webserver
    • Netopia 2247 router
    • Static IP (for example - 95.123.x.x)

The firewall is enabled and I have configured the http service to open port 80 using custom services & NAT is enabled. The HTTP service points to the address on the 192.168.x.x and all looks good.
    I can access my webpages across by LAN so I'm happy everything is working on that front.

However, when I test the port which are open here at https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 port 80 is coming up as stealth, now this is bad if your trying to host a webserver. I'm not sure why this is not working, considering I've opened the port on the router already!

Any ideas on what I might have missed as I am about to take a gun to the router :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Firewall on the Netopia maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bill Andrex

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Firewall on the Netopia maybe?

That's what I thought at first, I forgot to mention I turned off the firewall to test it and still got the port blocked while everything else was open which is a little strange!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just curious, why bother running a webserver on your home DSL connection?

I want to run a small website without the cost of hosting and to do some testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Its a breach of the T&Cs but they shouldn't care, am I correct in understanding you have a static WAN IP?

• Advertisement

Its a breach of the T&Cs but they shouldn't care, am I correct in understanding you have a static WAN IP?

Yes, I'm using a static WAN IP and a static LAN IP.

I am guessing that the netopia admin interface is using port 80 too in which case that would need to be changed. However, Eircom seem to have locked the router down so that its muppet proof, so i'm not sure how I could check or change this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I want to run a small website without the cost of hosting and to do some testing.

Really bad idea. Web hosting costs about 50euro a year, hardly expensive. Running from a home connection will be slow, possibly unusably slow, a security risk, and a breach of contract. It will slow your Internet connection when in use, or your usage could cause your website to timeout on visitors.

Bottom line, don't do it for anything other than a quick test of something.

Advertisement