Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Router

Options
  • 03-11-2009 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Could someone tell me what kind of router do I need to work with NTL broadband?

Do I need a cable modem/wireless router or will a bog standard wireless router do?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi all,

Could someone tell me what kind of router do I need to work with NTL broadband?

Do I need a cable modem/wireless router or will a bog standard wireless router do?

You need to use the NTL/UPC supplied cable modem, as they base your access on it's MAC address, so buying your own isn't an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

Not exactly Spear.
    You have to use their modem, but you can use a cable router along with it.
    UPC have two modems at the moment.
    A Wifi one and a normal cable modem.
    With the cable modem it's simply a case of connecting up a cable router via the ethernet cable.
    With the Wifi version, while it has Wifi built in, it's not gonna be the best, so if you need something better, you can disable the Wifi on the modem, and again connect a cable router via ethernet.

As long as it's a cable router, not a DSL router, it'll work.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

_Sidhe_ wrote: »
    Not exactly Spear.
    You have to use their modem, but you can use a cable router along with it.
    UPC have two modems at the moment.
    A Wifi one and a normal cable modem.
    With the cable modem it's simply a case of connecting up a cable router via the ethernet cable.
    With the Wifi version, while it has Wifi built in, it's not gonna be the best, so if you need something better, you can disable the Wifi on the modem, and again connect a cable router via ethernet.

As long as it's a cable router, not a DSL router, it'll work.

I may have been unclear in my wording, I meant buying his own cable modem isn't an option, rather than the router.

Advertisement