Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gun, meet foot

Options
  • 03-11-2009 2:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Found this document on the RSA website

[url] http://www.rsa.ie/publication/publication/upload/Driver Fatigue 5 FA.pdf [/url]

Look on page 3.

I think that by publishing that they have undermined their anti-speeding campaign.

It clearly shows that excessive speed was the primary factor in circa 5% of accidents.

Perhaps they should focus more on maneuvering error, but that wouldnt be such a moneyspinner would it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Speed is the easy target.

Although they could make a load of money by making people re do their driving tests and take advanced driving lessons which teach skid control and evasive driving.

That'd have eh..'certain' groups of people up in arms though, you know..the ones who believe that every accident in the world is caused by excessive speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

The RSA are a bunch of racist discriminating *****. with that aul bag of ****e gay byrne at the top, resembling a floating ****e in the bottom of a toilet bowl.

That **** said ive a disease.....Im young.

Apparantley....When I drive SHE dies. well I must ****ing say you scaldy prick, I have never killed a female in my car, neither a male.

Speed doesnt kill.

Stupid gob****es who panic or drink drive do.

How the **** can TDs say Drinking and driving is ok, and speeding isnt. Im sick of arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

And breath...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Small print says the chart is contributory factors in collisions. You can bet your rear spoilers Gaybo will still tell us that speed still kills more people than drink, drugs, bungee jumping and syphillis combined. Tired people collide. Fast people kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

People sitting in their unmoving cars don't kill. People have killed others at less than 10kph...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Of the items on the list that could easilly be inspected at a checkpoint, when have you ever seen a checkpoint for Insecure Load or Tyre Blowouts (Tyre Condition)? Driver Impairment still ranks very higy yet they're fiddling about with the margins of the population between 50 and 80 rather than putting resources into tackling the significantly larger section of the population who're above the limit we already have.

95147.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Ang yet we will continue to hear the tired old "Speed Kills" mantra..... IIRC the number one cause of fatal accidents in this country is one car hitting another head on on the wrong side of s straight section of N road. Yet there are no "drive on the correct side of the ****ing road" ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Ang yet we will continue to hear the tired old "Speed Kills" mantra..... IIRC the number one cause of fatal accidents in this country is one car hitting another head on on the wrong side of s straight section of N road. Yet there are no "drive on the correct side of the ****ing road" ads.

Speed kills.

You are confusing the cause of the accident with the effect. Speed does not of itself cause accidents. Inattention etc does. But once the accident occurs speed determines the resulting effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

It's easy to automatically detect a speeding car. It's easy to fine a speeding car.

You can't use an automatic camera to detect a drink-driver. You can't use an automatic camera to detect an unroadworthy car. You can't use an automatic camera to tell if the driver has a license, tax or insurance.

And anyway, enforcing these doesn't generate revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Speed kills.

You are confusing the cause of the accident with the effect. Speed does not of itself cause accidents. Innatention etc does. But once the accident occurs speed determines the resulting effects.

But in Padraig's example, very little speed can kill. A head on crash between two cars travelling at our lowest speed limit will still be a 100kph crash. What do you suggest we lower the limits to to legislate for every possible eventuality?

The press want to sell papers so 200kph speeders getting jail time for doing no damage to anyone gets more coverage than a motorcyclist getting killed or hospitalised from sliding on a farmer's spilled slurry.

The government want to be seen to get results so they go for the low hanging fruit. It also helps that their "safety" crusade is a handy revenue stream in these hard times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

milltown wrote: »
    What do you suggest we lower the limits to to legislate for every possible eventuality?

I'm not suggesting anything of the kind. I'd suggest drivers pay more attention. But the simple truth is, if I am on the phone (causing the accident) and drift into an oncoming car, the impact will be more severe the faster we meet.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Speed kills.

You are confusing the cause of the accident with the effect. Speed does not of itself cause accidents. Inattention etc does. But once the accident occurs speed determines the resulting effects.

But that's irrelevant. As the document shows, speed isn't causing these accidents, crappy driving is. Get people to drive properly, and their speed becomes a null factor.

Putting the emphasis on speed is like a doctor treating the symptom of a disease rather than the cause. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

kona wrote: »
    The RSA are a bunch of racist discriminating *****. with that aul bag of ****e gay byrne at the top, resembling a floating ****e in the bottom of a toilet bowl.

That **** said ive a disease.....Im young.

Apparantley....When I drive SHE dies. well I must ****ing say you scaldy prick, I have never killed a female in my car, neither a male.

Speed doesnt kill.

Stupid gob****es who panic or drink drive do.

How the **** can TDs say Drinking and driving is ok, and speeding isnt. Im sick of arseholes.

Jesus, calm down there!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Resisting urge to laugh.....!!!!!!!!!

(*sorry folks private joke:D*)

Resisting urge to laugh.....!!!!!!!!!

(*sorry folks private joke:D*)

;););)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Adam Selene

;););)

Oy, this is serious (unlike minister Jim McDaid).

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Edser

It also shows the NCT up as a bit of a scam with Mechanical coming in at about 2%

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Edser wrote: »
    It also shows the NCT up as a bit of a scam with Mechanical coming in at about 2%

It could be said that the NCT has made sure that is isn't a much higher figure. Without NCT it would be more like 10% imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Gulliver

I see the weather is almost twice as bad as speed in causing accidents. Did it get any points? An ad campaign? A fine even? No.

I want to see the Gardai out with weather checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Yet there are no "drive on the correct side of the ****ing road" ads.

There should be more of these in my opinion (I seen a few for tourists). I nearly got wiped out a few weeks back by a guy driving an oil lorry. He was about to go the wrong way around a roundabout and approached it on the wrong side of the road. Got some bloody fright.

The boy racers are doing their rally practice near my house every single weekend, nearly hit a baby in a pram last weekend when cutting a corner, I've seen that a few times. I live near a beach and there are a lot of walkers on that road. Really surprised they haven't hit anyone yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭alias no.9

But that's irrelevant. As the document shows, speed isn't causing these accidents, crappy driving is. Get people to drive properly, and their speed becomes a null factor.

Putting the emphasis on speed is like a doctor treating the symptom of a disease rather than the cause. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Doctors often treat symptoms because once you've contracted a disease, the symptoms themselves can be the most painful / irritating / embarrasing feature of the disease.
    Speed is a factor in determining the severity of an impact, it does need to be controlled but it would be nice to see some action on corrective and preventative measures against the causes of collisions.

Advertisement