Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

superglue repair?

Options
  • 03-11-2009 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

Quick question,

I was washing my car there during the weekend and I noticed a tiny rust spot on the roof of my car. I hate seeing anything wrong with the car and I like to keep it in shape if at all possible. The rust spot is approx 2mm in diameter and I know its only minor but besides getting the area resprayed or something is it possible to apply superglue to prevent that rust spot increasing in size? I only want to cover up the rust. Would superglue corrode metallic paintwork?

It is not worth getting the car resprayed for a rust spot so small in diameter. I waxed the car and applyed sealent approx a month ago and now I see this.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd use some sort of a rust inhibitor treatment instead. Although I did once touch in a white car with tipp-ex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Danuogma

Did you find it with a magnifying glass?. It's so tiny I wouldn't even worry about it. Touch it up with some paint, go down to the motor factors and get the right colour, spray some into the cap and dab it into the spot with a small brush. Don't use superglue.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

As Danuogma said just get a small amount of touch-up paint. I did this a while back & you never know abut the rust. You should get the paint code on a plate under the bonnet. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

just painting over the rust won't do much good, it'll just continue rusting underneath.

Carefully scrape/grind off the rust as best you can, dab on some zink primer or any other anti-rust base coat you might have handy and then cover it with paint

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Danuogma wrote: »
    Did you find it with a magnifying glass?. It's so tiny I wouldn't even worry about it.

Its noticable from the bonnet, It actually larger than my previous description and it stands out. I hate rust. Might give a trip to motor factors. If i give them the paint code of the the paintwork, would motor factors be able to give me the correct paint there and then or would they have to order it? What else should I pick up while Iim there? Primer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

what colour is the car? your best bet is to get rid of the rust before you put anything on it. if you get a small bit of sand paper (about p600/800) and carefully try rubdown the rust till its all gone. i think i seen a thing in halfords the other day that might help to. its was kinda like a pen with a sanding tip on it. could be used to rub it down to the metal either. when you get it to the metal do 1 of these two things
    1. get some metal primer and put a small dab on the exposed metal let it dry for 24 hours then put a dab of paint over it. halfords or your dealer should be able to suply you with a stone pepair touch up kit. (halfords one could contain stuff to sand it down too)

2. if your car is red, black, white etc you could get a small tin of hammerite or similar metal paint and touch it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Danuogma

teednab-el wrote: »
    Its noticable from the bonnet, It actually larger than my previous description and it stands out. I hate rust. Might give a trip to motor factors. If i give them the paint code of the the paintwork, would motor factors be able to give me the correct paint there and then or would they have to order it? What else should I pick up while Iim there? Primer?

Yeah, if I was you I would get some primer, don't just apply it on to the rust though, remove the rust first. If there is a depression you might have to use a tiny bit of filler first to make it flush again. When you have it primed+painted go over it with some very fine sandpaper and polish back with cutting compound. Most motor factors stock stock a wide range of colours, you might have to order if it is an oddball colour that there isn't much demand for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

In keeping with other posters teednab-el I'd be inclined to treat the rust spot first. If you carefully attacked it with fine sandpaper and maybe even rust inhibitor. In particular on the roof of the car where you would probably find it would spread moreso maybe. Following on from sean1141's post you can get a paint touch up kit in Halfords. They come with three little tubes which are primer, paint and lacquer. Think they are about 20 quid as far as I recall and they would carry practically all the popular colours. You do get pretty much what you pay for as in don't expect a super fantastic finish but for touching up a older car on the cheap with some stonechips and light scratches they're spot on. Its easier to get a decent finish with some colours moreso than others, white being a very easy colour to work on and a metallic silver bring an impossibility really. Lots of patience and a steady hand will come in useful? If your car is pretty new and/ or expensive and you want to keep it in tip top condition you might be better of getting it professionally sorted but if going down this route do shop around!

I once saw a really good write up here on boards.ie where a chap touched up all the scratches and stone chips by himself on his BMW. He bought the paint on ebay as far as I recall. Was somewhat more expensive than the Halfords offering but he did a top notch job. Good luck with that search though, as I say its going a while back now that I saw it!

Advertisement