Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'Soft' Ford Focus Alloy Wheels

Options
  • 02-11-2009 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I own a 2009 Ford Focus 1.8tdci Ghia. In 10 months of ownership I've had 2 alloys damaged by pot-holes. The inner rim will have flattened at one point. This will be noticed as a slight vibration through the steering wheel at about 80kph (not unlike an imbalanced wheel). There is no damage to the tyre and apart from the loss of 'roundness' the alloy is unmarked. The pot-holes were not exceptional ones and the impact not that heavy. On both occasions I've had the wheels straightened.
    In 30 years of driving a variety of cars, some with alloy wheels, some with steel I've never had this problem.
    Has anybody else experienced this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

timberzz wrote: »
    Has anybody else experienced this problem?

Never bent buckled or otherwise broke a rim myself timberzz but if you are asking the question in general I seen something on tv a week back where many drivers of newish BMW's in the UK have had problems with alloys getting buckled. Like yourself many of them had being driving for years without any such problems. They were collectively attempting to seek compensation from BMW but BMW were refusing to play ball.

Just a haunch timberzz and I could be well of the mark for that matter but it may be something to do with the way manufacturers are attempting to make rims lighter and lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 timberzz

Thanks for this johndaman66, will investigate this further. I suspect that there are a lot of damaged rims on cars but the owners aren't aware of it. What I notice is actually a slight 'tremor' coming through the steering wheel. If you take your hands off the wheel there won't be any shaking of the steering wheel to be seen but you can feel something is not quite right. Take a look at the inside rim of the alloy wheel though and it's alarming how flattened it is. I have been in contact with Fords and they say there is no inherent issue with these alloys and that their engineering dept. isn't aware of any issues with them. I'm considering putting on steel rims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

What size are your alloys and are your tyre pressures ok?

I've engineered Range Rover wheels and when under Ford ownership we used their ES (engineering spec) with all testing reqs detailed etc. Basically, my point is that I would consider Ford wheels to be very well engineered - I cant tell you what the tests are but they are very tough! There are lots of tests that would relate to pothole strikes.

Renault wheels on the other hand :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Alloys are softer than steels. A combo of that, poor road surfaces, low profile tyres, and heavier vehicles (diesels are heavier still) will see some alloys getting damaged.

The last 10 cars I've owned have all been new Fords and all have had alloys. I've been lucky and have never damaged a wheel, although I did ruin a tyre due to sidewall damage caused by a monster pothole.

Did you check your tyre pressures btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Has happened to a family member last year on her Ford Focus. She didnt even notice it until she was on the motorway and felt a vibration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 timberzz

The wheels are 16" with 205 55 16 tyre size. I've attached a picture of the wheel. I've checked the tyre pressures and they are 35psi when cold. I've used a digital guage to measure this. Apart from appearances do alloys have any real benefits over steel wheels. Also, Ford tell me that they don't recommend straightening alloy wheels, any views on this?
    If I change the wheels Ford have offered to send one wheel to engineering for testing. My concern here is, if a) the wheel passes the test with no damage incurred then that's fine, I'll store the alloys until I sell the car, b) If the wheel is damaged in the test does this mean they are off spec and Ford replaces them or do I end up with a ruined wheel.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

35psi sounds high to me.

Alloys can be repaired/straightened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cdolphin

I know I am very late to this thread but I was just wondering if you were able to recommend somewhere to get an alloy replaced. I have a 2008 focus, which I bought last year and the tracking was off when I test-drove the car, the garage did it 3 times but to no avail. I got it done elsewhere and it lasted a few weeks. Car pulls to left. Got it checked out again recently and after it was tracked 4 times in a week the garage finally checked out the wheel and the alloy is buckled (and has been since I got the car). I don't fancy shelling out hundreds for a new one if I can avoide it. I have the same alloys as the one in your picture.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

35psi sounds high to me.

Alloys can be repaired/straightened.

2 psi will do nothing besides make it slightly sporter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If you want advice start a new thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement