Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How are sites like this allowed !!

Options
  • 02-11-2009 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭

:mad:

http://www.odometer-correction.com/forum/

Jesus christ .. with the likes of Bittorrent, Napster, all the other 'illegal' sites. This stuff costs normal joe millions and theres a**holes on here with such lines as:

"how do i change the milage on my polo"

Right lads ... who could be report this too .. besides bombing the site with posts ! :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Barr

Reading through some of the posts its doesen't seem that easy to do as plugging in a device and hey presto your milage is "corrected"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Dont fool yourself. Clocking is more rampant now than it ever was Im sorry to say. It was am epidemic with the UK stuff that was flooding in the last while and as used cars get lesser on the ground and it makes it more worthwhile to import the cheaper stuff its only gonna get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Some people like to do engine swaps, and in doing so the mileage of their motor is totally different to the body, so they take out the clocks, dial them back or forward to the relevant mileage and get going. It's not illegal once it's done for that reason alone.

I know how to do it for my civic :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

craichoe wrote: »
    :mad:

Right lads ... who could be report this too .. besides bombing the site with posts ! :o

Nobody, it's all 100% legal in this country once the buyer makes the purchaser aware that the car has been clocked if they are "aware" that it has been clocked. The fact that our NCT mileages are not recorded only contributes to the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Some people like to do engine swaps, and in doing so the mileage of their motor is totally different to the body, so they take out the clocks, dial them back or forward to the relevant mileage and get going. It's not illegal once it's done for that reason alone.

I know how to do it for my civic :rolleyes:

The Mileage is tied to the Chassis not the engine, you send a car in for a new engine to a dealership they don't put the clock back to 0, the rest of the car, shocks, bushings, electrics, locks, seals etc etc all have mileage as well.

IMO Mileage should only be handled by the dealer or by a government body that can keep track of the Mileage. (If such a thing existed)

Anyone that tries to convince me that even 10% of the Clockers are doing it for Legit reasons are living in wonderland.

• Advertisement

The Mileage is tied to the Chassis not the engine, you send a car in for a new engine to a dealership they don't put the clock back to 0, the rest of the car, shocks, bushings, electrics, locks, seals etc etc all have mileage as well.

IMO Mileage should only be handled by the dealer or by a government body that can keep track of the Mileage. (If such a thing existed)

Anyone that tries to convince me that even 10% of the Clockers are doing it for Legit reasons are living in wonderland.
    Uhm...no...the more you use your engine, the higher mileage you get, that's a given. But if you pull out your engine after 50k miles then you have a body with 50k miles on it, say you then put in a brand new engine, well then you have an engine with 0 miles on it, but still a body with 50k and the clocks will show that. Hence people turning back the clocks...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Its not illegal, you can change the mileage to what ever you want, but it is illegal not to inform a buyer of the change.

Uhm...no...the more you use your engine, the higher mileage you get, that's a given. But if you pull out your engine after 50k miles then you have a body with 50k miles on it, say you then put in a brand new engine, well then you have an engine with 0 miles on it, but still a body with 50k and the clocks will show that. Hence people turning back the clocks...

Can you please provide a link to the formula that provides the amount of mileage you should remove after replacing an engine with a new one on a car with 50k on the clock.

If you put it back to twenty I magically not have to replace the shocks for another 30-40k ? :)

What about the steering rack, braking system etc ... does it alter the service schedule ... i think not :o

Can you please provide a link to the formula that provides the amount of mileage you should remove after replacing an engine with a new one on a car with 50k on the clock.

If you put it back to twenty I magically not have to replace the shocks for another 30-40k ? :)

What about the steering rack, braking system etc ... does it alter the service schedule ... i think not :o
    Can I ask something, where in the hell did I say you had to set it back?

It's all personal preference.....

Can I ask something, where in the hell did I say you had to set it back?

It's all personal preference.....

If your example was replacing the Digital Cluster then perhaps your argument might have some weight .. but now i think your just trolling ;)

• Advertisement

If your example was replacing the Digital Cluster then perhaps your argument might have some weight .. but now i think your just trolling ;)
    I don't troll on boards.....

And not a digitial cluster, the dial ones? That like... flick up a number? Come to me some day I'll show you on my Civic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

Refusing to buy a car based on mileage alone is a bit silly anyway.

The type of miles has more of an effect. 10000 miles of short journeys where the car never gets up to temperature down a Kerry back road will murder a 'new' car far more than 50k or more of motorway cruising and city commutting.

The condition of the car, and the owner, are far more important than a number on the dashboard.

Dartz wrote: »
    Refusing to buy a car based on mileage alone is a bit silly anyway.

The type of miles has more of an effect. 10000 miles of short journeys where the car never gets up to temperature down a Kerry back road will murder a 'new' car far more than 50k or more of motorway cruising and city commutting.

The condition of the car, and the owner, are far more important than a number on the dashboard.

Completely agree but i'd prefer to buy a car with 100k explaining the type of mileage rather than 100k clocked to 50k because the owner felt the motorway miles were better for it.

Advertisement